Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Chatter

Old 04-22-2012, 07:29 PM
rmichaud98
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Transmission Chatter

Hey all. New to Harley here. I just bought a 2012 FXDF. Just after 500 miles i started to notice this obnoxious rattle, clatter, chatter or whatever you may want to call it coming from my tranny (coming from the right side of the tranny) @ or around 2000 rpms in 4th 5th gears. Even in 6th gear at highways speeds (75 ish) I still here it. So when I noticed the sound I jumped online and read all I could about the "the transmission rattle". From what I have found everything generally specifies to the fifth gear "wine" noise or the noise you hear while in neutral. i don't believe the noise that I am hearing is either one of these noises. So after much reading I have tried just about all oils out there and they include mobil one 75/90, 75/140, spectra 75/140, royal purple 75/140 and the harley transmission plus. After everything gets warmed up, I still hear the same noise that I have been hearing, even after putting 1500 miles on the bike. I have taken it to the stealership from which I purchased the bike. The service manager has taken for a ride twice and and says he can't hear anything.. which I feel is bullshit. I have been with others that have rode beside me and can hear it and have had others take it for a ride and experience the same sound that I have been hearing... So I call bs on this guy. I have an appointment with another dealership, but this time I am hoping to get some more amo going in. Has anybody else experienced this problem or know anybody that has??? The latest thing that i have read is that its a possibility that the main shaft bearing going, or a bearing of some sort inside the tranny. I have a mechanical background and being told thats NORMAL doesn't set well with me. I would be ok with it if it sounded familiar with all the other noises that i have read about online, but this just doesn't sound right to me. other than this one complaint (well, that an all the other money I have spent with this bike haha) I love this bike.... just not the damn steel forging sound that I am getting from my tranny while cruising down the road.

Any valuable info will be much appreciated. Looking forward to hearing them.

Thank you,
Ryan

Old 04-22-2012, 07:39 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

my .02:

dont tell the other dealer its the tranny that's rattling, let him figure out where its coming from

Old 04-22-2012, 07:42 PM
rmichaud98
Novice

well, when I setup the appointment they asked me all about it.. so its to late for that.. good idea though.. Thanks!!

Old 04-22-2012, 08:14 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

steel forgeing sound hmmmmm and your sure your not giving too much gas at too low a revoloution.that sound your dscribing reminds me of engine lugging.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:39 AM
rmichaud98
Novice

no, I am not lugging the engine at all. As i had mentioned, I still hear the same sound in sixth gear at highway speeds. when accelerating (putting more torque on the drive system) the sound goes away, but while "cruising" or just giving enough throttle to maintain a certain speed, thats when the sound becomes noticeable. Another way to describe the sound would be comparing it to an impact gun at a slower rpm. Also, if you disengage the clutch going to the road the sound goes away, and if you rev the motor to the rpms you were at before disengaging the clutch, still no sound. So I know its not in the engine. Again, it comes from the right side of the bike (opposite of the drive belt) .

Old 04-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Garyk
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may sound stupid but have you checked the heat shields? If one of the clamps is loose or broken they will rattle to beat hell at certain RPMs, can drive you crazy

Old 04-23-2012, 03:05 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 967 Likes on 730 Posts

If it turns out not to be the heat shields (a likely cause) and the second dealer can't or doesn't hear it, find out when the factory service rep visits the dealer and make an appointment for him to check it out.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:56 PM
rmichaud98
Novice

I did see something about heat shields while searching the internet for possible causes, and heat shields was one of things that I did check. They are all tight, and I tightened up some more if they were able.

I will def keep in mind about the rep if they do not come up with a resolve at the other dealership. Thank you for the idea.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:39 PM
rmichaud98
Novice

any new ideas people. I still haven't been able to get in to the dealer..

Old 05-22-2012, 04:52 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure it is coming from the tranny? I would bet something is loose like a gas tank bolt or it the motor pinging.

Have you done any mods at all to the bike? Anything, no matter how small?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Chatter