Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   need advice on my first long trip (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/762432-need-advice-on-my-first-long-trip.html)

jisananimal 05-03-2012 03:21 AM

need advice on my first long trip

me and a couple buddies are planning a trip from san francisco to la for the born free show...since this is my first long trip (2-3 days camping by the bike type of thing), i was hoping i can get some advice on what to bring, what not to bring etc.

so far I plan to buy some saddlebags, (i found that those cortech ones look pretty cool) sleeping bag, maybe a tent, not too sure...but i would love to hear what you guys thing...thanks 4 all the help guys...ride safe

mcw999 05-03-2012 04:07 AM

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aow.cfm

Check this page out. Some good advice sprinkled in here and there.

maddghost 05-03-2012 05:27 AM

Well any overnight means haulin rain gear along as a precaution so I'm happt to have saddlebags , it sounds like you have the rest covered! Happy trails!

Al-Sheikh 05-03-2012 08:51 AM

Priority 1: Mobile Phone
Priority 2: Creditcards

Anything else improves comfort, but is not really necessary :)

Thingfish 05-03-2012 09:36 AM

One man tent and sleeping bag is good on the back seat with a cargo net or bungie cords. Careful how you attach it to the bike as anything touching paint will mess it up over the course of the ride. Also suggest one of those self inflating or foam ground pads that goes under the sleeping bag. You will sleep 100x better with one.

Clothes in saddle bags. If forecast is for any rain everything should be in waterproof bags or black plastic garbage bags (including tent and sleeping bag). Clothes should be layers so you can add or subtract for hot/cold. Cali is cold at night, especially along the ocean. A knit cap is good for sleeping to keep your head warm.

cheap LED lanterns as you will likely not be making a campfire.

Or you could just say f-it and stay in motels. Then just need rain gear and clothes (still need water proof bags inside saddle bags).

Enjoy the trip.

Shizims 05-03-2012 10:05 AM

I've ridden from San Fran to LA I hope to god your taking the PCH. Has to be one of the most amazing roads in America.

Keep it simple, the more crap you have the bigger the hassle, it starts to take away from the experience. Unless you're going to be moto-camping or backpacking enough to make buying high end gear worth the cost, go cheap on the tent. Bring a tarp big big enough you could rig a shelter with some cordage. Sleeping bag and clothes for all weather. Baby Wipes are good for a "shower" and a 12V socket with alligator clips on the ends will let you charge your phone. Extra socks and undies are more important than and extra pair of jeans. Of course a few tools are a good idea and a knife or leatherman seems to ALWAYS get used on any trip I've been on. A couple zip ties are not a bad idea either.

SouthpawHD 05-03-2012 10:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is my set-up for camping: Saddleman Deluxe Tailbag with cheap saddlebags. The tail bag sits on top of the seat, allowing just enough room for the saddlebags. Bungee net for sleeping bag and collapsible cooler.

8541hog 05-03-2012 10:37 AM

If you were anywhere but CA this time of year, I would add a fullface helmet in case of rain. That was the main reason I got the tourpak for my Dyna, very common out here to get caught in a downpour and overpasses are not always available.
Raingear is a must and if you travel the PCH it can also keep you a bit warmer.
I have done the PCH full length San Diego to WA state, that is a great ride, but forget about being in a hurry....Just enjoy it.

Austin Dave 05-03-2012 01:02 PM

I envy you taking that ride on the PCH. I hope to do it some day, before Ca falls off into the Ocean. Have a fun and safe trip!

Foxster 05-03-2012 02:13 PM

Less is more.

Take a sleeping bag, tent, coupla T-shirts and underwear, toothbrush+paste, bar of soap and a towel*. Plus, as suggested, CC and phone. Oh, and decent riding gear, you know it can get pretty chilly on the North leg of your trip near the coast even in summer.

*“A towel, [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.”