Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Wide Glide shock absorbers...more shock, less absorber

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 04:39 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Try some HD air shocks from a bagger, you can adjust the preload with air pressure, they ride pretty nice and are hard to beat for the $$$ invested, I have about $125 invested in mine and that includes the $55 for the kit to link them and $16 for a 25' roll of line to put the valve where the horn was - about $55 for the (new, take offs) shocks if you get the std. height ones. Eventually I will probably get Ohlins too but for now these work great and they are already BLACK. LOL

Old 05-24-2012, 05:08 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by harley_rider77
,,,do the shocks on the 2012 Wide Glide leave a lot to be desired?...I seem to bottom out with minimal effort with the factory suspension...looking for suggestions on aftermarket shocks...
had the bike 3 weeks today, and I've already put about $2500 into it...
Originally Posted by harley_rider77
...I guess I should have looked to see if they're adjustable...
what's the harm in spending more money?

I've only had the bike for three weeks, so I haven't done much playing around with it other than replacing the bars, cables, and air intake...
Suggestion: Quit throwing money at new parts before you've even read your owners manual. Your bike has preload-adjustable shocks that you haven't bothered to setup correctly; read the manual.

It's fun to spend money, and if you prefer tinkering to riding, that's OK, too. But you'd be wise to think twice, and learn what you are doing, before rushing into parts replacements.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:46 PM
harley_rider77
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makes sense, but the only reason I was asking about aftermarket shocks was because the majority of people responding to threads on shocks/suspension were all complaining that the factory shocks just didn't do it for them. Of course I'm going to try the cheaper/free route and adjust what I have before I go out an buy anything. I was simply looking for options and opinions. In fact, I mentioned the slightly harsh ride while I was at the dealer last weekend, and instead of reminding me that I could simply adjust the pre-load, they tried to get to to check out their aftermarket parts catalogs for adjustable shocks.

I appreciate all of the help and suggestions. I'll adjust what I have this evening, and hopefully, that'll do the trick.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:57 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

As long as you adjust the stock shocks to fit your riding style they are fine for awhile. I usually get 2 years out of the stock shocks before replacing them. there are far better shocks out there but for me I will wear out the stock ones and then replace them with something better. Keeps me from having to throw tons of money at the bike all the time. So far on the street bob ive done bars , air cleaner, tune box and pipes. Been a good combination that works well.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:18 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by p51bombay
Try some HD air shocks from a bagger, you can adjust the preload with air pressure, they ride pretty nice and are hard to beat for the $$$ invested, I have about $125 invested in mine and that includes the $55 for the kit to link them and $16 for a 25' roll of line to put the valve where the horn was - about $55 for the (new, take offs) shocks if you get the std. height ones. Eventually I will probably get Ohlins too but for now these work great and they are already BLACK. LOL

This is a common swap on Sportsters and makes a world of difference for them. For a FXDWG, you'd need the shorter height ones to maintain the stock ride height and they can get a little pricey but still be in the $150 range.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Junior_co
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have the 2010 WG with stock shocks and I have to agree with the OP on the shocks...

I will feel it bottoming out 1-2 times a week just driving down the super slab and rolling over a bridge junction.

The owner's manual says that the shocks are set from the factory to notch 5 (I'm running this from my memory so if I'm a little off, you'll have to forgive me) which from the diagram looks to be the most pre-load you can have on the springs.

Every day I get to ride, I use that time for what it is... Time to ride, so I admit, I haven't double checked to see if that is where the actual settings of the shocks are....

Anyway, it doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen with the stock shocks. It's not enough for me to want to make the change right away, and it isn't any worse with a passenger (which only happens when my girl is in town). So, for now, I'm going to focus on a stage 1 and some saddle bags and I'll let the shocks ride (yea, pun intended) for a little while...

Good on ya

Junior