Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to:Dual Disc Brembo calipers on a Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Default How to:Dual Disc Brembo calipers on a Dyna

There is a bit of info in another thread here but I thought this might apply to everyone as who doesn't want better brakes at a great price? I am aware there is another writeup about this somewhere around here but I found a few things different than in the other thread for my bike.

Recentlddy I acquired an FXDXT in stock form. It came with dual disc calipers stock but they are the stock harley calipers which I feel are most definitely lac king in stopping power even on such a light and nimble bike. I read around and talked to some friends who told me the Brembo's would bolt right up the forks without issue as far as the spacing is concerned on the lower legs. That was all I needed to hear and my search started for some of these calipers off the newer baggers and VRODS. After searching Ebay and CL for a bit, I can across a set of the calipers for $200. I bought them and they arrived a few days later.

I went out and mocked them up on the lower fork legs to ensure that the spacing for the mounts was right. It was. For my bike I needed the caliper mounting bolts from the Brembo's as the top bolt on the stock caliper was far too long. I was in luck as the calipers I got came with the stock mounting bolts.

The next task was to search out stainless braided lines for the brakes and the new bars I was installing. Got them and mocked them up and bled them. In one of the writeups that I read it said that you needed the bagger master cylinder for this install as there is something different about the master cylinder from the stock. Maybe it was just the bore of 11/16" for the dual disc which my bike already had as a single disc bike comes with a 9/16 bore master cylinder. I did pick up a master cylinder from a newer bagger but found that I also needed the clam shell for t hat side to make it work. I ended up using the stock mc and everything has worked out perfectly. My bike uses DOT 5 fluid stock and the calipers are designed for DOT 4. Since the lines were brand new I cleaned out the master cylinder and used DOT 4. I guess I could have cleaned out the calipers and used DOT 5 instead but this seemed to be a simpler route to take.

Once the system was filled and properly bled the biek was taken for a ride. The brake power was not exactly lacking before but it was far improved after the install of these calipers. I don't think I will ever need to use the rear caliper again.

As far as the spacing on the caliper I was told I would need to shim it in order the center the rotor in the caliper. It looked to be off a tiny bit with the initial mounting. I then shimmed it with a very narrow washer and it was over to the other side too far so I took the shims out and it seems fine. The wheel spins free and all.

So of all the simple bolt on mods I have done this has to be one of my very favorite for the price and performance that is gained.

I'd like to the thank the gentleman who did the initial writeup as without reading that I would not have tried this mod. If you have
any question please feel free to ask.

Name:  IMG_9442.jpg
Views: 16959
Size:  3.27 MB

Last edited by Hogpro; 05-30-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:56 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

great write up Rob! thanks man ill add that to the stickies we have on here

Old 05-30-2012, 01:21 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm wondering how much braking would be improved using this caliper with the single disk setup.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:26 PM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pictures, pictures, pictures please!

Old 05-30-2012, 02:12 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree, great write up! I was just looking at this upgrade and I too found the average going price for the Brembo calipers is about $200. Great news for me.
Bob

Old 05-30-2012, 02:22 PM
HD Dooley
Cruiser

Hog pro...i converted from sportbikes to a harley. i absloutly hate the braking system. i was going to start with steel braided lines to see if that would help the spongeyness. now reading this thread your making me think i need a whole new system.

1-Did you try the stock caliper with steel braided lines?
2- on a scale of 1-10 how were your stock brakes compared to these brembo.
3- with the new calipers, did you get rid of the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound when your apply front brakes??

Old 05-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

I added a pic that is in focus up top. I tried to get a shot of the spacing between the rotor and caliper but it did not come out so well, you can see anything. Here is a link to the other info that I used for the conversion.
https://www.box.com/shared/uezic40eyp

Obviously if you do not have dual disc already you will need different lowers. Another friend of mind put a fatbob front end on his FXDX and he shimmed the calipers a little and it has worked out great as well. I don't have any pics of his setup right now.

Hot bike also did a writeup using something else.
http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/1012_...ion/index.html

Old 06-01-2012, 11:05 AM
HD Dooley
Cruiser

Hogpro,i think we both replied at the same time could you answer those questions?

Old 06-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

I did not try the steel braided lines on the stock calipers. I never had the zzzz sound with the stock calipers. The stock calipers were a 5 the brembos are a 10. It seems after talking to a few guys here that the switch housing from the Dyna should work with the bagger brake lever and master cylinder as well although I was unable to phenagle it at the time.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:30 AM
HD Dooley
Cruiser

thank you !!

Quick Reply: How to:Dual Disc Brembo calipers on a Dyna