Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rally in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 05:59 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts
Default Rally in the rain?

I really don't like riding in the rain but I guess I will be hanging the windshield, and hauling out the rain gear and full face helmet tomorrow because I am going to the Lone Star Rally in Galveston come hell or high water!

Old 11-06-2015, 07:53 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I found using two rain suits is better than one.
Real waterproof boots are a plus.
Dam water collects in your crotch.
Lost a horn to flooding it.
Riding in electrical storms arching across your bow makes for an interesting ride.
Keeping dry ,warm,plenty of gas to help dilute the mist.
Hopefully your plugs keep firing and the water doesn't get higher to cross than you think.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:31 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

Rain certainly has been known to put a damper on things but I've also had some great rides in it too, what the hell, make the best of it

Old 11-06-2015, 09:55 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Good luck and post some pics!

Old 11-07-2015, 04:01 AM
antlockyer@gmail.com
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the two rainsuits idea. Hope it isn't as wet and windy as it is here.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:18 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Too hot for two rain suits today and besides, Galveston is a 60-ish mile freeway ride for me. I misplaced my boot covers last year...I think...anyway, they are MIA. I guess I go with suburban tumbleweeds instead or just get wet feet...no biggie, BTDT. These old milsurp Navy flight boots can handle it...makes them fit better when they dry out.

I have never ridden in the rain that I didn't end up getting soaked. Usually because by the time I got pulled over to put it on, I was already pretty wet. I pulled over put it on once heading to Beaumont because there were cells working that I could see in front of me...not a drop. This was in July and I was in a sauna in that thing so I pulled it off...and got soaked by one of those pop-up cells. Same thing on a cross-country trip. put it on Louisiana when it looked like rain ahead but pulled it off again when it cleared up...only to get into some of those big-'ol fat drops in Hattisburg Ms...got soaked that day also. Rode down to the VH hospital in downtown Houston last summer and got caught in a fast moving cell riding back home...and got soaked...wasn't supposed to rain that day.

Anyway, it is pretty wet and heavy cells are rolling across Galveston Island right now...I know a few gentle motorcycle owners and weekend riders role-playing biker but apparently I don't know that many real bikers...a real biker knows what happens when you ride...in rain...you get wet...but you still ride.

Last edited by skinman13; 11-07-2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:33 AM
pab3rd
Club Member

Received 213 Likes on 147 Posts

Stuck at work today, but at least no rain in the forecast for tomorrow. Just cooler. Ride in early tomorrow.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:30 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13
Too hot for two rain suits today and besides, Galveston is a 60-ish mile freeway ride for me. I misplaced my boot covers last year...I think...anyway, they are MIA. I guess I go with suburban tumbleweeds instead or just get wet feet...no biggie, BTDT. These old milsurp Navy flight boots can handle it...makes them fit better when they dry out.

I have never ridden in the rain that I didn't end up getting soaked. Usually because by the time I got pulled over to put it on, I was already pretty wet. I pulled over put it on once heading to Beaumont because there were cells working that I could see in front of me...not a drop. This was in July and I was in a sauna in that thing so I pulled it off...and got soaked by one of those pop-up cells. Same thing on a cross-country trip. put it on Louisiana when it looked like rain ahead but pulled it off again when it cleared up...only to get into some of those big-'ol fat drops in Hattisburg Ms...got soaked that day also. Rode down to the VH hospital in downtown Houston last summer and got caught in a fast moving cell riding back home...and got soaked...wasn't supposed to rain that day.

Anyway, it is pretty wet and heavy cells are rolling across Galveston Island right now...I know a few gentle motorcycle owners and weekend riders role-playing biker but apparently I don't know that many real bikers...a real biker knows what happens when you ride...in rain...you get wet...but you still ride.
Yeah for the rain suits to even come close to working you need to wear them....while it's raining.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:54 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

I made the ride...it rained all the way down, all the time down there, and pretty much all the way back. I did manage to stay pretty dry in the rain suit but it was too hot to walk around with it on...I rolled it up and put it in my sissy bar bag while I roamed around...and got wet. Not a lot going on outside because of the rain so most of the action was in the bars.

A cold front rolled through and the weather was perfect for riding Sunday morning so I decided to rinse it off and wipe it down and ride back south again. Seems a lot of other folks decided to ride down today as well, pretty decent turnout for the last day.

Trying to remember why I was so all-fired about riding down there on Saturday...in the rain...i really don't like riding in the rain...

Old 11-08-2015, 07:59 PM
razors edge
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Rode Thursday, no problems. Saturday rode in the rain, It's simply part of it.

Quick Reply: Rally in the rain?