Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 dyna owners, any problems lately ?

Old 08-30-2012, 04:51 AM
mikeurig
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 dyna owners, any problems lately ?

I have a noise when I start the bike when it's cold. Sounds like the heat sheild is loose but it's not. Goes away when I pull in the clutch so off to the indy after work.

Just wanted to know if any '06 owners had the same problem or similar.

Thanks and keep the shiny side up !

Mike

Old 08-30-2012, 06:28 AM
Eagleman06
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not 100% sure but sounds like the symptom for the bad primary inner bearing.
If you search you will find info on it, heres 1 link

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...y-bearing.html

Old 08-30-2012, 06:39 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,098 Likes on 1,490 Posts

My compensator barfed out on a ride last year. More of a scraping squeeking metal sound that sounds like metal hitting a grinding wheel. Crept home slowly from that ride. The mounting bolts had backed themselves out and chewed it up from the inside out. Inner primary area had a bunch of short chewed up copper spaghetti inside. Put in the new improved model with the mounting bolts tack welded on it.

While it was apart, I also replaced my inner primary bearing...at first put in a Baker model..didn't like it, tore apart and replaced with an 07 inner primary bearing. But the IPB noise isn'e like a heat shield sound..it's more of a muffled sound that sounds like metal roller skate wheels being run fast...and only while in neutral with the clutch out. Pull in the clutch and dump it into first, and the sound goes away clear as daylight.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:18 AM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 368 Likes on 145 Posts

If your Indy tells you it is the primary bearing go see Harley before you pay for anything to be fixed. Tell them that you have heard Harley has replaced the tranny and primary cases on the 06's for free. You may need to kick them in the butt to investigate this as many dealers say they have never heard of it. Ask them to call the Harley service rep on your behalf. That's what I did and everything was replaced even though the warranty expired 3 years previous. I also had them change my stator to the new one while they were in there, I paid for the parts for that.

So to answer your original question I've had no problems with my 06 lately. In fact other than the 2 things mentioned I have never had a problem with my 06.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:30 AM
mikeurig
Road Master

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
But the IPB noise isn'e like a heat shield sound..it's more of a muffled sound that sounds like metal roller skate wheels being run fast...and only while in neutral with the clutch out. Pull in the clutch and dump it into first, and the sound goes away clear as daylight.
That is exactly what I am experiencing. The noise does go away after I start the bike and pull the clutch and dump it into first. Other than that it runs great.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:34 PM
Spud17
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem took it to the dealer they thought I was from Mars. But I called Moco and got a reference number first and gave it to the dealer. It is at the dealer now they are replacing the inner primary bearing, primary case and tranny case for a $100 administration fee. This is the 1st time it went out. Mine made a noise in neutral went away when I shifted into gear, but it came back while down shifting. Here is a link to my thread I made about it.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...bout-moco.html

Old 08-31-2012, 06:49 PM
mikeurig
Road Master

Dropped the bike off at the indy. Should have it back Thursday night in time for Roar to the Shore in NJ. Yes I could have gone to the dealer but I want it done now.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:27 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Have your Indy put a Baker Hi Torque bearing in it and you won't have to mess with it again. They are about $40 from Baker Drivetrain.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:13 AM
mikeurig
Road Master

Already suggested the he install the Baker, seems he can't cross reference the Harley part number with anything in his books but I told him about the Baker number.