Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for recall letter

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 01:56 PM
bikeman5
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for recall letter

i have a 2006 dyna super glide fxdi, and my inner primary bearing has failed, in the service manual it says every 15k miles to change. which harley revised to 50k back to 15k which is absurd to pay for this repair if especially if you ride over 30k a season, my local harley shop told me h/d refuses to recall this item but did send out letters to some 06 dyna owners stating h/d will replace at no cost to the customer for the life of the bike, you have the option of repair or upgrade if you choose to do it yourself. I'm looking for a Copy of this Recall Letter, if anyone got harley to fix the problem and or subtracted the fix cost off the cost of the upgrade which is what i hope to accomplish at a minimum. thanks

Old 09-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a look at this;

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...y-bearing.html

It's a good read on that subject. There are those that are successful at getting this done, even now!

My eppisode with that problem is included in ths thread as well. Or, PM the OP. He started this ball of wax, and it has been an ongoing thing fixed with varrying degrees of success ever since.

Just "turn on your filters" befor you do the read.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes....Tim(HT)

Last edited by Harley Tim; 09-16-2012 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Because I can.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:04 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

The letter will not help any, Harley rescinded it and no longer recommends the 15k interval for replacement. I had the letter and went in at 15k for the replacement and was told it was no longer needed. The bearing finally failed at about 24k. When it did I called Harley and they did agree to pay for the replacement. I didn't end up taking it in. I replaced it with a Baker bearing myself. I simply didn't want to deal with the hassle of taking it to the dealer. The bearing is about $40.00. With gaskets and all I was in for less than $100.00 and the job was complete in about 3 hours. I also spot welded the rotor while it was apart. I would have probably spent more than 3 hours running the bike back and forth to the dealer.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:34 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Scary, big kudas to you for not only fixing it but fixing it better.
Glad I got an 09. Not that I knew any better but glad they got it straightened out.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:39 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by jmpancoast
Your stator/rotor replacement is going to be coming from your wallet. While there have been LOTS of issues, haven't seen any acceptance from Harley.

The Inner Primary Bearing is up in the air. The Moco first created an amendment to the owners manual stating they would change the bearing as part of scheduled maintenance every 15,000 miles. They then issued a letter staing it was no longer needed. How easy it is to have it covered depends on your dealer.

The are several guys on here who had the bearing changed upon its first failure, and the bearing, tranny case, and inner primary case changed on the second failure, all on the MoCo's dime.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:06 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Search my Thread "Finally Good News..."...all you need to know about getting HD to fix on their dime. Older thread, but some guys have recently gotten the same "Full Monty" fix on their dime.

Edit: Oops! I see someone already linked it.

Last edited by PKellyMc; 09-17-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:39 AM
caaraa
Banned

The letter will not help any, Harley rescinded it and no longer recommends the 15k interval for replacement.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:33 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Call H-D and get a Reference Number. Take bike to dealer for diagnosis. With any luck H-D will authorize repairs, hopefully with replacement of transmission cases.

Sammi

Old 09-17-2012, 09:33 AM
bikeman5
Stage III

i just want to thank you all for your time and wisdom youve shared, now i feel can begin working with h/d again and see if they help opr stick me, thanks again
ride hard, long and fast!!!!

Old 09-17-2012, 10:40 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

HD woiuld not help on mine... upgrade and install the baker IPB much better

Quick Reply: looking for recall letter