Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another helmet post

Old 01-16-2007, 12:49 PM
jabroni73
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another helmet post

hey guys, im sure this has been talked about before but here it goes again. i've been riding for about 5 years now and never have worn a helmet. the wife wants me to wear one od the freeways at least. which i can understand. now i've looked at the local harley shops and when i try them on they appear to be huge on my head. and i hear everyone talking about carbonfiberhelmets.com. is this the only option there is out there? when i watch like american choppers and jesse james they dont have huge helmets on. i wonder where they get theirs? any ideas are welcome.unfortunately the only way i'll wear a helmet is if it looks decent. thanks again

Old 01-16-2007, 01:02 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: another helmet post

The guys on TV are most likly wearing novelty, non DOT helmets. I also wear a Novelty helmet and there is nothing safe about them, you could pretty much fold it up and put it in your pocket. I'v heard great things about carbonfiberhelmets.com but don't own one yet. I'm sure someone will chime in.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Psycho
Road Master

I've got one. Carbon fiber that is. From Advanced Carbon Composites. (ACC) Love it.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Angry_Monkey
Cruiser

I own a DOT helmet from carbonfiberhelmets.com. It is the best DOT non-mushroom head producing helmet I've found to date.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:52 PM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too can't believe there aren't more cool helmets out there. Just yesterday I went looking again at 3 different places and all they have is the 2.5 inch thick mushroom head models. They remind me of that Gazoo guy that used to hang out with Fred Flintstone. I have a novelty german style helmet that is about as safe as if I taped cotton ***** to my head. I may have to go with one of the internet helmet companies where you measure your head and wait for delivery. I am convinced I will never find a cool helmet otherwise.

Doesn't he look like Snap, Crackle, and Pop?

Old 01-16-2007, 02:58 PM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior

If anybody could post their experience with self-sizing and ordering one of these custom helmets, that would be great.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:31 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know that riding a motorcycle is definitely an image thing...and no one wants to look goofy on their bikes. But the truth is, helmets are like anything else....the more protection you give yourself, the less aesthetically pleasing the helmet is going to be.....that's the bottom line. And yeah...there are helmets out there that claim to provide protection and still look ok...but the fact remains, the more protection you're giving your head, the more of a mushroom head you're going to have.
So what you have to do is ask yourself...what's more important...looking good, or protecting yourself.
Please don't misunderstand me...I'm not lecturing here...and I'm not saying people that don't wear helmets are stupid...we're all adults and we all have the right (or at least we should have the right) to make that decision. And coming from a guy who spent the better majority of his life drinking and smoking, who am I to make judgements.
Personally, at this point in my life now, I have way too much to loose...and a helmet can make all the difference in the world...especially in smaller collisions. A potentially non-fatal accident can become much more serious if you're not wearing a good helmet.
So, with all that...I'll give you my solution to the helmet head. I found that most DOT half helmets do, indeed, make you look like you have a mushroom on your head...at the same time, the full face helmets look ok, but are way too restrictive...especially on hot days. So I bought a 3/4 helmet. They look more natural on your head..and they offer almost full face protection. It may not be the solution for everyone, but it certainly works for me.
Just my .02 of course.

Todd

Old 01-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Angry_Monkey
Cruiser

I know ACC (carbonfiberhelmets.com) gives you 2 or 3 foam inserts for the helmet to get a more customized fit. I just follwed their directions for sizing and it fits great.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:15 PM
SLORider
Road Captain

Your logic may be a little backwards also. Seems to me (based on the research) you really have more of a chance of getting in an injury accident "in town" rather than on the freeway. Your wife, and you it seems, have bought into the idea that freeways are more dangerous than slower more congested city driving. The idea that the type of helmet you're willing to wear will do anything to protect you at freway speeds is a delusion. It may, if it's DOT approved and you manage to hit just right on the top of your head, protect you somewhat at slower speeds and secondary impacts.

It's your choice, just as it's mine, to wear what we want. Just do some real research, get informed and base your informed decision on that, not ANYONES opinion.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Bear64
Banned

ORIGINAL: veniculum

I know that riding a motorcycle is definitely an image thing...and no one wants to look goofy on their bikes. But the truth is, helmets are like anything else....the more protection you give yourself, the less aesthetically pleasing the helmet is going to be.....that's the bottom line. And yeah...there are helmets out there that claim to provide protection and still look ok...but the fact remains, the more protection you're giving your head, the more of a mushroom head you're going to have.
So what you have to do is ask yourself...what's more important...looking good, or protecting yourself.
Please don't misunderstand me...I'm not lecturing here...and I'm not saying people that don't wear helmets are stupid...we're all adults and we all have the right (or at least we should have the right) to make that decision. And coming from a guy who spent the better majority of his life drinking and smoking, who am I to make judgements.
Personally, at this point in my life now, I have way too much to loose...and a helmet can make all the difference in the world...especially in smaller collisions. A potentially non-fatal accident can become much more serious if you're not wearing a good helmet.
So, with all that...I'll give you my solution to the helmet head. I found that most non DOT half helmets do, indeed, make you look like you have a mushroom on your head...at the same time, the full face helmets look ok, but are way too restrictive...especially on hot days. So I bought a 3/4 helmet. They look more natural on your head..and they offer almost full face protection. It may not be the solution for everyone, but it certainly works for me.
Just my .02 of course.

Todd

cool, now I don't have to say it, I agree

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: another helmet post