Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Fat Bob floor boards (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/820423-fat-bob-floor-boards.html)

skipc 11-01-2012 04:17 PM

Fat Bob floor boards

Hi all,I`m new to the Dyna forum.I bought a `12 Fat Bob this past summer and love it.I have 2 other rides,a Roadking and Electraglide and like floor boards.Does anyone know if the f/board system on the switchback model will fit the Fat Bob Dyna frame?Thanks in advance for any advise/help. Skip

AFMM3 11-01-2012 06:19 PM

Fits '06-later FXD, FXDB, FXDC and FXDL models. Also fits '06-'08 FXDWG models. Stock on '12-later FLD models. Does not fit with frame mounted highway pegs.

I believe it does not include the FXDF because the stock exhaust eats up too much room near the right side. Otherwise it should bolt right up.

perki48 11-01-2012 06:23 PM

It will bolt right up.........but not with stock exhaust.

bl_dg 11-01-2012 07:35 PM

I just put them on my '12 Wide Glide... after I removed the exhaust.

They definitely will not work with the stock Tommy Gun exhaust. Primary side is no problem (I rode foot board and peg for awhile), but the Tommy Gun comes down and blocks the rear mounting bracket.

Works fine with the Super Glide exhaust.

HYPR 11-01-2012 11:36 PM

I did FL boards and did a little clearencing on the right side rear mount cutting the curve back about .375" in a 1/4 moon pattern running V&H Staggereds. I added a reduced reach brake arm and clearenced the stock brake peddle arm and added an FL foot pad.
Bob

Harley Tim 11-02-2012 08:22 AM

All these post are correct; It's all about the clearance on the exhaust. That being said, You have som options to consider.

I ordered the parts from the FLD parts manual at the dealership when the books hit the counter. And it worked out well forme. But not without some planing, and extra effort.

Exhaust clearence is your first issue. In my case, having Vance & Hines Big gun (Staggered), I had to cut away the heat shield for the R/H aft Footboard mount bracket for clearance. Not a big deal. It can be done with a dremal tool and a rotary file obtaiable at your local Home Depot.

However, I learned after the fact that there are aftermarket spacers kits that include hardware that will move the mount bracket out as much as 1/2 inch.

But, then the clearance of your brake rod may become an issue.

Nowdays, The MoCo has provided a kit to do what I did piece-by piece for concidderably less $$. (Good for them). But it's not nesissarly "Tab A-Slot A Maintenance) to install.

As far as fitting the frame; Yes it will fir any '06 Dyna (or later). The rest is up to you. What are you willing to do to put it on?

Myself, It was worth ever penny, and extra effort to put on. Having footboards on my Supeglide is probably the single-most "best" improvement I've ever done as far as ride comfort.

Here's some pics, if you're interested. http://s1203.beta.photobucket.com/us...35083135673769

Also, I have a list of HD PNs and prices should you elect to go that route.

Best wishes....Tim(HT)

perki48 11-02-2012 01:24 PM

It would be silly to order the parts seperatly. Just order the kit and the only thing you have to worry about is exaust clearence. I installed the Kit on my 07' Wideglide in about 30 Minutes. But I didnt have the same exaust as a newer Wideglide or Fatbob.

DCLXVI 11-03-2012 06:09 PM

I just put floorboards on my '06. I got them from a member here that had put the parts together before the kit was available. I jumped on it because he had all the blacked out parts and half moon floorboards. They are certainly worth the effort.

HYPR 11-03-2012 07:08 PM

Tim,
You did't need to cut the heat sheilds, there is plenty of material on the right rear bracket that you could have simply grinded a clearence grove like I did and it works fine. I too put mine on before Moco released the kit. That's alright though because with the purchase of my bike came a 30% discount on the parts so the cost was almost the same.
I agree, one of the best things I did on the bike!

Oh and today, I replaced the POS OEM battery which already is not holding a charge more than 2 weeks with a Shorai Lithium one. Expensive yes, but weighs about 1 pound and has a 2 year GUARANTEE, not Warranty, a Guarantee.
Bob

aces&8s 11-03-2012 09:04 PM

I was going to put floorboards on my 97 wide glide and thought I would try the new Kryakun [sp] mini boards or go with larger ones?