Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Oh Stuff (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/837991-oh-stuff.html)

KCPitts 01-16-2013 04:06 AM

Oh Stuff

I could use some help or advice from you guys. While I was installing the rear pipe back on the bike I dropped one of the exhaust nuts and couldn't find it. Is there any chance it could have found it's way inside the inner primary? I've never had the inner off and don't know how much room is back there for debris to fall into. Bikes an '02 Wide Glide. Thanks in advance and yes I know I'm a dumb ass!

KC

stilup 01-16-2013 04:53 AM

I hate when that happens. maybe just fell in a tight area but won't hurt the primary.
As soon as you get a new one you will find it.
Get a long skinny screw driver or a long magnet and go fishing.
Even an air line and blow away.
Just make sure your brake rod has movement before you ride off.
Some stuff is never found as it keeps falling to the center of the universe.

asm481 01-16-2013 05:02 AM

I lost one once and wouldn't let the bike move till I found it. Glad I didn't as it was actually sitting on the top of the drive belt right where it goes behind the primary. It might have wedged in there and ripped up my belt.

GraemeR 01-16-2013 06:35 AM

Think about it....if you have never had the inner primary off then how the heck is a nut going to get into the primary? Sigh....

Notgrownup 01-16-2013 06:45 AM

It's sitting somewhere...i always find mine after i have bought another one...Back away and look again with a fresh set of eyes...I usually start the bike to see if it will shake off...

speckfisher 01-16-2013 06:45 AM

Yes Sir, can't imagine the nut got into the primary.....as said, get a mechanics pencil magnet - the kind that are telescoping, use it in and around the engine and you might find the nut......I have found dropped nuts many times this way......lots of hard to see nooks and crannies on the motor........good luck, be careful.

KCPitts 01-16-2013 07:03 AM

Thanks guys. I used a magnet and no luck but I like the idea of using a blow gun so I might have to try that too. It'll be a few days though as I'm on the road for work now. Just don't want that damned nut to be somewhere where itll do a lot of $ with of damage!

KC

SLV 01-16-2013 07:23 AM

As mentioned, check around the drive belt. Also look in the Swingarm pivot. You don't want that thing chewing away t anything that moves. Starting the bike is not a bad idea, but I would hesitate to initiate any gear engagement.

TGWN 01-16-2013 07:32 AM

If all else fails, You will find it on the shop floor.

Hogpro 01-16-2013 09:10 AM

I've lost plenty. Just check the front pulley for the belt. That is the only place it could be that would hurt the bike. There are a few I never found. I always try to keep a few extra on hand when installing exhaust.