Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idea(s) for creating dummy gas caps flush or other types to replace fuel gauge.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:24 AM
Gee
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Idea(s) for creating dummy gas caps flush or other types to replace fuel gauge.

I got to rambling so I moved that BS below the pictures. In a nut shell I have an idea for fitting a fuel cap into the space left by the fuel gauge to create a dummy cap and was looking for what other came up with for thiers, or maybe someone knows of a item out there the rest of us don't. I know there are a few dummy caps out there that can be bought but the problem is they don't match unless you buy that set.

For the gas caps I am trying this with the problem I am upagainst now is that the cap is just a little smaller then the hole is. Leaving a little space around the cap. I am working on filling the gap somehow, hiding the gap, etc. I have order a trim ring from Suredyke that is used with the HD flush mount caps. That may do the trick. I am basically trying to get a solution to the dummy cap without spending a lot of money on it. The pictures pretty much show the idea but also looking for some input from you fellows.

In some of the pictures below there was too much cut off of the tennis ball and that made the cap sit too far down into the hole. The last ball I had the cuts were closer on target.

This could be an option for a lot of different caps to work with and give a fellow more option until the $170 plus is in the budget for theHD one if that’s on your wishlist.

I had been riding around with the flush mount on the right and the old fuel gauge on the left but winter has been around for toooo long up here and getting a bit stir crazy waiting for the snow and ice to get off the road. I am about ready to invest a few 50lbs bagsof rock salt for the long shaded driveway at my house. I need to get my bike out of the garage andonto the pavement. Soon. While I am waiting out winter. I had a list of item for the bike and the fuel cap was one of them.

I shaved and then took a torch to the tennis ball for pissing me off. Not really, that was the cat but the feline gave me the idea that doing the same thing to the TB would keep green fuzzy fray from the TB from sticking out around the cap. Before coming in I sprayed the the tennis ball with some chrome paint. A darker paint may work better to hide the gap for now. Waiting for the paint to dry before putting it in to test out.

Alright let’s have it. I’ve searched the internet and actually think I was pretty close to the end of it when I turned around feeling there wasn’t anything out there on this. If you have a screw in type fuel cap I think you can cut the tennis ball to make it work for your flush mount or not so flush mount cap. If cut right the cap and ball are not going to come out of there on their own. I need to use some needle nose to remove the ball from the tank.

Here's the look I am trying to get ride off. Large fuel gauge on the left and flush on the right. Easy fix. Just buy the HD Flush mount w/ LED gauge Kit.

I ordered a weld in bung for the tank to see if I could get to fit into the hole and secure it someway. It's in the mail so will not know until after I invested in some more ***** if it will work or not.

BS: Bored Shitless? Hell, read on by all means……

Like many others out there my fuel gauge is the milage reset button whenever I fill up. Never did really use the stock gauge after the first month with the bike and I am use to the low fuel light always being on after the 2” tank lift. I love the look of the flush mount pop up gas caps. I bought a set off ebay for around 35.00 or something like that a long time ago before I even realized what I was getting myself into. Yeah exactly WTF… There is no way to screw a cap into the left side of my tank. So now what....... start loooking. So I’ve been searching for a dummy flush mount pop up gas cap for the left side every since. Haven’t found any that are flush mount/pop up style. I’ve looked at the HD flush Mounts and LED gauge, even had them in my virtual shopping cart about six times. They just keep getting bumped for other items. It’s a lot of money (all I want is a dummy flush mount pop up cap, not a kit) that could be spread out on other items which I know everyone has had those difficult decisions to make also. The HD flush mount are nice and I am sure one day I will have them installed on my low rider. In the mean time I have joined the hundreds maybe thousands of other Dyna owners looking for the right pop up flush mount dummy cap to match the one I have on the right side. It’s time for me to face the facts. It isn’t going to happen unless I buy the HD ones or is it? I like the truly flush mount style. Right now when my chrome budget is being threatened on the home front it’s time to get creative. Everyone that that’s removed the fuel gauge at one time knows the hole is too small for a beer holder and your spare change never stays put in it. What does fit into the hole really snug is a tennis ball. I have found that if I cut the top of the tennis ball and also cut asmall portion off the bottom of it. It will set pretty flush in that space and can only be removed with some pliers. I have used up all the tennis ***** that I could find so far on my experiment. I am close to getting the ball cut so the once the cap is installed it will be flush with the tank. Just one more ball and I think I will have it. Unfortunately, I believe the dog has hidden every other tennis ball around the house from me after seeing me destroy a few on my band saw earlier. Tomorrow I will search the local thrift stores for some more. If tomorrow comes for me. My dog is a large black lab and he doesn't seem too happy right now. The few glances I have dared to take in his direction. I have found only an evil brown eye looking back at me and when he is facing me. Yes, I get two evil brown eyes looking back at me. I can feel it now, the tension, the total disgust he must feels as he watched me cut into peices the one thing he feels is his and his alone. I don’t think he is aware of what I am typing or planning for tomorrow but I am a little concerned to close my eyes tonight while he is in the room with me…….. Should this be my last post, tell my bike I love it man! Okay where was I.......cutting just enough off the top to allow the other fuel cap I have to be pushed or screwed into the ball and then the ball pushed down into the tank will work to hold the dummy cap securely. I would think that this would work with many of the other screw in type gas caps out there. It is just going to take some ***** to get it to fit right for your bung hole…..lol No wait is that right, that is where the bung would be welded in if it was truely a hole like the right side of the tanks bung hole? Probably not called a bung hole though. I mean think about it. No don't think about. Moving on.....

Old 01-31-2013, 09:57 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

we tear down gas and fuel guages and powder them for customers... only shop in the country that does this to my knowledge

Old 01-31-2013, 11:37 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JRK5892
we tear down gas and fuel guages and powder them for customers... only shop in the country that does this to my knowledge
Those look awesome Joe!

Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 AM
Gee
Tourer

That's nice work! Do you guys have a way of turning a regular cap like the flush mount I am trying to get to work into a dummy cap for the left side of the tank?

I haven't tried yet but another thought was to try and remove the black plastic part (the part that holds the stock cap in the hole) from the stock fuel gauge/gas cap and try to retrofit it for my cap or retrofit the cap to fit it. I only saw two screws and it looked almost as if the cap was pressed or maybe crimped onto that black ring. After your post and pictures above it looks like it is possible to dismantle the stock fuel gauge down and retrieve the black part. Is there a trick to getting the fuel gauge apart or getting the ring off without breaking anything?

Ynots that's a great quote under your pic. I like it!

Last edited by Gee; 01-31-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:00 PM
wideopen4life
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe those caps and gauges look great. Never thought about doing that!

Old 01-31-2013, 12:10 PM
Gee
Tourer

Well it figures after I created the thread I would stumble onto what I have been searching for all this time. It's like waiting for that ebay item to show up and as soon as you send a email asking for a tracking # or when they shipped it out. It sure enough shows up that day.

Now I just need to find out if I can purchase just the dummy cap. Don't see any real information on ordering for them directly. Must need to go through one of the dealers for there items.

http://customchromecatalog.com/2012/full.asp?page=782

That is what I have been on the hunt for. Guess the dog gets his tennis ***** back now.

Has anyone used the Custom Chrome Flush mount set on the top part of that page with the dummy cap?

Old 01-31-2013, 12:30 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

$75 for the gas cap exchange if your interested in having them done! looks great!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:00 PM
Gee
Tourer

Thanks and once again nice product Joe. Alright folks back to your seats. The hijacking is over I believe. Although it was not what the thread was started for but I am glad we all now know that we can get our stock gauges and caps done through Joe. You can find more information by clicking link contained in his signature or PM him for more info.

Now has anyone come up with alternatives for the stock fuel gauge/cap on the left side of your tank? I still think there are some DIY options yet to be discovered.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:15 AM
Gee
Tourer

To follow up and close it out incase someone may stumble on this thread someday looking for alternatives for a dummy cap other then the stock fuel gauge/cap.

The tennis ball works...
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/10856692-post1933.html

It looks much better then when I had the flush mount on the right and the large fuel gauge on the left.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:29 AM
GonzoGriff
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://m.cruisercustomizing.com/dumm...FTEV7Aod6j4ALg

What about this...I think im gonna try it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Idea(s) for creating dummy gas caps flush or other types to replace fuel gauge.