Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Alternator blow up with pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 07:30 AM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PKellyMc
I throw in with Spanners39 on this one; definite '06 Dyna issues! The "Pink Letter" that early '06 owners received was an admission of a problem. Then the lawyers told them. "Hey, that letter is a major drop-trou...you gotta vacate that!" That they rescinded it with a second letter soon after was futile; the cat was out of the bag. It was about as convincing as, "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"
My IPB went twice; 3900-mi, and [after a new IPB/Race] again at 12K-mi. The second time, I got another IPB/Race, and the new doweled '07 IP/Tranny Cases. MoCo paid for the fix both times. Now fast-on 40K miles and no more IPB issues...you do the math! I ran a poll on this forum after my 2nd IPB fail, asking how many '06 owners had experienced an IPB problem; as I remember the poll results were 39% of 61 respondents had had IPB problem(s)...some had 3 or more failures! (Just bumped my old poll thread, should be nearby; look it over).
You mentioned that MoCo paid for the fix both times. Was your bike under warranty? I bought my 2006 over the summer from the dealership with 5000 miles on it in flawless condition. I didn't buy an extended warranty because I didn't know there were potential issues with my bike. I got the standard 90 day warranty. I didn't read about the potential issues until a few months ago. I only put 600 miles on the bike since I bought it.
Basically.. I think I am probably screwed on this.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:45 AM
mud
muderator
Received 8,759 Likes on 2,060 Posts

Originally Posted by jgcable

Basically.. I think I am probably screwed on this.
it is not a question of *if* the rotor will let loose and wreak havoc.

the question is *when* will it let loose.

period.

then again, yours may have already been *serviced* prior to your ownership.........

Old 02-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by DCLXVI
Instead of offering to upgrade his rotor & stator you maybe should have offered to fix it by spot welding it. It is much easier, since you had it out already, and id doesn't require replacing the stator.
I don't offer this in case the bolts are already loose or fractured. Its very hard to tell.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:12 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Bought mine used, but still within factory warranty period. I did buy the extended warranty before factory expired, but neither of my IPB fixes were processed under my extended warranty, so I didn't even pay the $50 "co-pay". In all my dealings and contacts with other Forum members about this issue, I've learned that HD is still repairing these problems on their dime. If you search out my thread "Finally Good News...", you'll see guys as recently as last year getting theirs fixed, up to the "Full Monty". By the way, an '07 primary case alone won't solve the problem; the tranny case must also be '07 to receive the alignment dowels with the primary...now you're SERIOUSLY out-of-pocket for parts, downtime, and labor without MoCo footing the bill.
Lots of guys who didn't know how, or didn't want the dealer working on their bike for a MoCo fix, have opted for the Baker Bearing "fix". I believe the root cause is case alignment, and my experience supports this belief since I've had no more issues after I received the "Full Monty" upon my 2nd IPB fail. It's possible that the Baker, alone, is enough. But I feel better with the '07 cases & dowels.
Before Sturgis in August, I needed to replace my belt, due to a rock hole. I decided to upgrade to '07 Rotor/Stator while I had the primary open, even though HD checked my Rotor Screws both times I had my IPB fails. I also opted to install a Baker while I was in there. I did note that the stock IPB and Race I removed still looked factory-new, even with nearly 25K-mi. on them since my Full Monty.
Obviously, lots of guys have never had an IPB nor R/S issue with their '06; God bless 'em. Neither fail is catastrophic; you'll hear the IPB long before it could become dangerous, and the R/S issue may leave you stranded, but not likely in a ditch. If it lunches your stator, you'll likely see an engine warning light and hear some noise, but battery power could still get you home.
My advice: Educate yourself fully, read my thread mentioned above. Be on the listen for the tell-tale sound of a failing IPB; it's simple to check, and surefire. Save copies of the Pink and White letters. If you're planning long trips, I'd recommend upgrading the R/S, as 'tack-welding" the button heads may prevent back-out, but maybe not shear. The R/S issue can stop you cold, but I rode home another 100-miles after I first noticed the IPB noise (and it wasn't any the worse for the extra 100-miles). If just a local rider, I'd recommend you don't trouble trouble, and leave the primary alone unless or until you have a problem. Only then, call HD Cust.Svc. and deal with them as outlined in the thread by me, and by others. A first-fail will likely get you just a new IPB/Race...don't expect a Full Monty on the first fail, though it could happen. I wouldn't trust any HD person who feigns ignorance of these 2 issues with the '06 Dyna...certainly not any Milwaukee Cust.Svc. Rep.
Good luck. I wouldn't give up my Wide. Just glad I should be free of these two gremlins now...knock wood.

Last edited by PKellyMc; 02-09-2013 at 03:17 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:42 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by jgcable
The witch hunt is just for the 06 Dyna because its the first year for the 6 speed and it has the screwed in compensator cup. I called 3 major Harley Dealerships in my area and spoke to the service managers (all of which have been working at these dealerships on the 10 to 20 year range). Yankee Harley, Danbury Harley and Brothers Harley. All in Connecticut.
Regarding the compensator cup.... not one 2006 Dyna has ever come in with that problem and on top of that they have never seen any of the screws backing out, sheering off or getting loose on any of the 2006 Dyna's that they have had in for stator replacement.
Regarding the IPB Inner Primary Bearing) issue... (it goes hand in hand regarding the 2006 Dyna online witch hunt) out of the 3 dealerships they remember 5 total between the alll of them and most of them were very low mileage warrantee repairs. As a matter of fact.. Harley put the IPB in their service and owners manuals in the beginning of 06 because they had a few problems when they first came out. 6 months later they stopped putting the IPB warning in the owners manual and service manual because after collecting data from all the dealerships there was simply no problems every being reported.
If you want to find problems with your bike online all you have to do is search and get the crap scared out of you.

Dealers out here in California where you can ride year round, a bigger state with a lot more riders told me they never heard of the stator or the inner primary bearing problem. Well that's what they told me when I brought my bike in under warranty for my inner primary bearing failure.

I didn't have a problem with my stator, but many have had that issue:

Originally Posted by WS6 Formula
Stator self destruct 06/07 Dynas
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-07-dynas.html

How many 06 dyna owners had failed Alt/stator/pulle y assy
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...le-y-assy.html

Looks like it's my turn for a Roter & Stator
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...nd-stator.html

06 dyna Primary noise--- stator
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...se-stator.html

Stator Rotor 2006 Dyna's
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...006-dynas.html

06 dyna stator/rotor
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...tor-rotor.html

A Few Questions - Stator and Indy Shop
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...indy-shop.html

06 stator-rotor findings
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-findings.html

Before you upgrade, cough, replace with a Screamin Eagle compensator read this thread:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...l#post10870209

Originally Posted by WS6 Formula
Well I'm at 29,000 miles, had the knocking only on cold start up. I ordered the below parts, opened up the primary and found no damage. None of the screws backed out.

Only thing I found was a little wear on the primary case where the chain was hitting, you can see it in the second photo below, it was contacting the lower primary cover bolt hole, to the left of the kickstand.

I also noticed if you push the upper part of the primary chain up and down it gives the same knocking sound that I was getting on cold start up.

Last edited by WS6 Formula; 02-09-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Rog6679
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine just imploded itself yesterday. 06 Street Bob with 34000 on it. I was gonna go raise hell at Brothers but I guess that is just a waste of breath. Anybody have the part #'s for repair

Old 06-17-2013, 08:40 AM
mud
muderator
Received 8,759 Likes on 2,060 Posts

Originally Posted by Rog6679
Mine just imploded itself yesterday. 06 Street Bob with 34000 on it. I was gonna go raise hell at Brothers but I guess that is just a waste of breath. Anybody have the part #'s for repair
rotor - #40356-06B

stator - #30017-01B

and you need some gaskets and screws.

I have a brand new stator and I have it listed here.....

Old 06-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Rog6679
Advanced

Originally Posted by mud
rotor - #40356-06B

stator - #30017-01B

and you need some gaskets and screws.

I have a brand new stator and I have it listed here.....
Is this for the welded rotor or bolted one?
And that stator will fit the 06?
Thanks Roger

Old 06-17-2013, 10:03 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

its an easy fix just a pain in the a$$ problem Harley should cover...

Old 06-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Rog6679
Advanced

They should cover it. I brought it to the dealer for a primary noise many miles ago and the said all was good!

Quick Reply: 2006 Alternator blow up with pics