Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Alternator blow up with pics

Old 02-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 248 Posts
Default 2006 Alternator blow up with pics

Much is said about '06 two-piece alternators and some are still in denial about just how fragile they are.

The following pics are of an 18,750 mile 2006 Lowrider alternator, it belongs to one of our local Hells' Angels who ignored my offer to upgrade to the 2007 alternator while I had the primary off to replace the inner primary bearing a few months back.

Well it just cost him $557 NZD in parts alone.

What really hacks me off about the later bikes is that you have to take the inner primary off to remove the rotor because H-D make the front of the cover just under a quarter inch too small to allow you to get the sucker off with the primary in place.........Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!

He was lucky, all the bolt heads stuck to the magnets and only one of them took damage,,,

Bye bye stator....

This is the bit that was bolted to the rest of the rotor....

Shiny new 2007 Rotor...

Stator still in bag :-)

2.5 hours to do the job and I changed the IPB seal while I was in there.

You know the truth now

Last edited by Spanners39; 02-06-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:24 AM
Gatone13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made a full write up with pics on how to fix this problem for anyone thats interested.

Like OP suggested, everyone with an 06 dyna should tend to this problem sooner than later.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-sprocket.html

Old 02-06-2013, 05:17 AM
rs87277
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

wow man glad its all good now

Old 02-06-2013, 05:27 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Did his screews back-out, or shear?

Old 02-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by PKellyMc
Did his screews back-out, or shear?
Both....I think 3 backed out and the rest sheared from what I can see.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:45 AM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch!

Old 02-07-2013, 04:56 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Great another problem to worry about, I've got an 06 Nightrain ( just having a wonder around the forums here ) does it affect them as well or just the Dynas ?

Old 02-07-2013, 08:15 AM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by magna
Great another problem to worry about, I've got an 06 Nightrain ( just having a wonder around the forums here ) does it affect them as well or just the Dynas ?
The witch hunt is just for the 06 Dyna because its the first year for the 6 speed and it has the screwed in compensator cup. I called 3 major Harley Dealerships in my area and spoke to the service managers (all of which have been working at these dealerships on the 10 to 20 year range). Yankee Harley, Danbury Harley and Brothers Harley. All in Connecticut.
Regarding the compensator cup.... not one 2006 Dyna has ever come in with that problem and on top of that they have never seen any of the screws backing out, sheering off or getting loose on any of the 2006 Dyna's that they have had in for stator replacement.
Regarding the IPB Inner Primary Bearing) issue... (it goes hand in hand regarding the 2006 Dyna online witch hunt) out of the 3 dealerships they remember 5 total between the alll of them and most of them were very low mileage warrantee repairs. As a matter of fact.. Harley put the IPB in their service and owners manuals in the beginning of 06 because they had a few problems when they first came out. 6 months later they stopped putting the IPB warning in the owners manual and service manual because after collecting data from all the dealerships there was simply no problems every being reported.
If you want to find problems with your bike online all you have to do is search and get the crap scared out of you.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:07 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Thanks for the reply jg, its definitely worth checking the Camm tennioners on 88 engined bikes, checked mine at 21,000 but i sometimes wonder with the 10s of thousands of bikes built how many tennioners show excess wear or fall apart before say 45-50,000 miles.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:38 PM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by magna
Thanks for the reply jg, its definitely worth checking the Camm tennioners on 88 engined bikes, checked mine at 21,000 but i sometimes wonder with the 10s of thousands of bikes built how many tennioners show excess wear or fall apart before say 45-50,000 miles.
In the grand scheme of things.. not very many! The TC88 is an amazing piece of technology.
Just some food for thought... the Harley owners who don't go on the internet rarely have any problems with their bikes!
My buddy bought a brand new 2007 CVO Springer and when he was researching it online he was in a panic because there is so many horror stories on that TC110 motor he really thought he was riding on a time bomb. Most of them were heat related issues.
I was riding a 1989 Sportster and I researched that bike abd was totally worried about the magnets in the stator becoming unglued and causing me to be stuck on the side of the road dead. There were literally hundreds of threads about it. Same thing with my buddys CVO. Well.. I have 45,000 miles on my 1989 without a single issue with the charging system and he has 37,000 miles on his Springer with not even a hiccup. We ride with a bunch of guys who have 2007 CVO's and not one of them have had any issues other than 1 bike having some extremely slight oil seepage coming from that inspection bolt between the 2 jugs. There was a recall and the dealer fixed it.

I currently ride a 2006 Dyna Wideglide. Do a search on it and it will scare the crap out of you. I was convinced that my bike was a total lemon because of the compensator cup and the IPB issues I read about. I decided to call the largest dealerships in my area and speak to the service managers. 2 of them I know personally and they wouldn't steer me wrong in any way shape or form. These guys are top shelf. To them.. there simply are no problems with the 2006 Dyna and what I read online are isolated horror stories. They are true stories but not something to base an overall opinion on. They all told me to ride it, enjoy it and don't worry about it. Of course there is no gaurantee that something won't break but if or when it does.. bring it in and get it fixed.

Bottom line for me.... I read a 760 page book on the Harley TC88,96,103,105 and 110 motors and from an engineering and build quality standpoint Harley Davidson is the only bike I would ever ride. The Evolution was an amazing engine that will be around forever. The TC (Twin Cam) motors are even better.

Last edited by jgcable; 02-07-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 Alternator blow up with pics