Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Electrical problems - 2009 FXD (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/844097-electrical-problems-2009-fxd.html)

Roger Williams 02-07-2013 12:40 PM

Electrical problems - 2009 FXD

Hey guys - looking for some suggestions on things to check out.

2009 FXD (approx. 20,000mi.) - A few months back my bike was getting harder and harder to start. This went on for a couple of months. It would struggle to start and eventually fire up. One night I went to start it and it tried a few times and then click, click, click.

Well, I parked it for a while and got a new battery when I had the dough. I tested the old battery with a voltmeter - 10.38v. Dead as a doornail.

I put in the new battery and tested it with the voltmeter - 12.68v. I started it (fired right up , first crank) I let it run a good 3 minutes or so and tested it again - 14.385v.

I figured the problem was fixed. I rode it about a week, and now it is starting rough again. I'm sure I didn't do anything wrong putting the battery in and the connections are clean and tight.

I'm thinking it may be a bad ground or maybe a short somewhere. Anybody have some suggestions of common weak points to check out? I have the manual, but it doesn't really tell you exactly where everything is.

I appreciate the help!

FXD2003Rider 02-07-2013 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Roger Williams (Post 10880140)
Hey guys - looking for some suggestions on things to check out.

2009 FXD (approx. 20,000mi.) - A few months back my bike was getting harder and harder to start. This went on for a couple of months. It would struggle to start and eventually fire up. One night I went to start it and it tried a few times and then click, click, click.

Well, I parked it for a while and got a new battery when I had the dough. I tested the old battery with a voltmeter - 10.38v. Dead as a doornail.

I put in the new battery and tested it with the voltmeter - 12.68v. I started it (fired right up , first crank) I let it run a good 3 minutes or so and tested it again - 14.385v.

I figured the problem was fixed. I rode it about a week, and now it is starting rough again. I'm sure I didn't do anything wrong putting the battery in and the connections are clean and tight.

I'm thinking it may be a bad ground or maybe a short somewhere. Anybody have some suggestions of common weak points to check out? I have the manual, but it doesn't really tell you exactly where everything is.

I appreciate the help!

You could check if there is any power consumption while the bike is not running and the ignition is off.

Spanners39 02-07-2013 02:41 PM

Does it crank like normal but not fire or is the starter cranking slow?

Cleaning out where the brushes go might help.

69onmy09dyna 02-07-2013 04:17 PM

After checking for loads while the bike is off you need to check the charging system. It is possible to have volts, ie 14.3 is a good charging voltage, but no/low amps. You will need an inductive digital amp meter set to 0-200 amp scale while starting and back down to 0-100 max scale while charging. While applying different loads, ie brakes, hi beam, signal lights make sure amps dont go negative. There should be a trouble shooting flow chart in the manual to help. Assuming no loads draining battery I would lean towards regulator. Oh and dont forget to check all connections. Not only the battery.