Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   '97 rear fender removal (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/85016-97-rear-fender-removal.html)

Huebie 02-11-2007 10:02 PM

'97 rear fender removal

I have to get the rear fender repainted and was curious how hard is it to remove. Iknow the back end is held on by the struts as I have had them off, just not sure what holds the front on. Also any tips/tricks on wiring I should be aware of???

THANKS!

soup48 02-11-2007 11:41 PM

RE: '97 rear fender removal

If you have a service manual, check it out to see what wires are on the fender.

haksaw 02-12-2007 12:26 AM

from what i can remember, it's only the 4 bolts on the struts and unplug one plug and you're done... a monkey can do it

jca_54 02-12-2007 12:57 AM

haksaw is correct. There's a single plug in your tailight for the rear turn signals / tailight and four bolts on the struts.

Huebie 02-22-2007 11:54 AM

Okay there must be something else because the bolts in the struts have been removed as have the turn signals so nothing is connectedfrom the seat back. It looks like there is a bolt in the front the fender that would come out behind the battery but I cannpt get to it without removing the wheel.

Somebody please help me out. I 've got to getthis to the painter before the weather breaks.

THANKS!

haksaw 02-22-2007 12:30 PM

sorry huebie, on the 06 it's just the 4 bolts...if my memory wasn't so short i could give you some help but i can't remember the bolt you're referring to from when i had my older dynas.

davidchristopher 02-23-2007 08:00 PM

Why not pull the battery instead?

Huebie 02-23-2007 09:44 PM

WellI finally got the bastard off and now I am nervous as hell about putting it back on freshly painted. The bolt in the front of the fender was barley accessable from the left side of the bike and threaded in to a clip instead of a nit so removing the battery would have been useless. There was no plug on the tailight either so I had to snip the wires and will solder on the re-install.

danieldd 02-24-2007 12:30 AM

I have an 02 and I have the same setup you have. To get to that last bolt I removed my rear wheel 1st. This make it much easier. I suggest you remove the wheel before you put your freshly painted rear fender back on. Also, did you cut your turn signal wiring to remove them? I had to because I couldn't get the turn signal connectors to pass thru the thru hole for the turn signals. They make a special tool to remove the double lock on the AMP connector, but I didn't have it and had to resort to a pair of diagonal cutters. I'll have a bit of soldering to do to get mine hooked back up.

haksaw 02-24-2007 01:47 AM

i have that tool but have never figured out how to use it properly. I just use a big safety pin and a little patience (cue the g'n'r) It works great. THey pop right out once you've figured out where to poke, push etc.