Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Tank Filler neck Recall

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 10:44 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Filler neck Recall

I decided to take a leisurely 270 mile ride today as I needed to run by the office and pick up a package. While in the Capitol City I decided to go by the dealer and get a new key fob programmed to the Dyna. While it was on the digital technician, a recall for a fuel tank filler neck came up. The dealer fixed it while he had it. Anyone know what this recall was about and where can I go to type in my VIN to see when there may be outstanding recalls that I am unaware of?

BTW new HD fob including programming $40 at H-D of Jackson MS.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:58 PM
tconnell21
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All they are doing is turning the filler neck. Just had mine done also. They said that they are turning it because where the vent hole is they were getting to many problems with the warranty and gas coming onto the paint. Don't know if it will actually make a difference or not.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:32 PM
HooliganCycles
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We dont actually turn it,they are welded in place. we have a tool that goes into the filler neck and rubs tightly up against the threads giving the cap more clearance so it seals against the tank

Old 04-12-2013, 12:50 AM
ewalker302
Advanced

Brookhaven, MS here...

Had mine done a few months ago in Hammond

It gets to where the gas cap wouldn't seal to the tank. Mine would leak gas every time I filled it....kept getting worse,

Old 04-12-2013, 01:27 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'll give you a link that you can either search for your bike by Make or year and find what recalls (if any) have been issued for your bike. Then you can contact your HD dealer, tell him what your vin number is and have them check if that particular recall was done on your bike.

Here is the link: http://motorcycleviews.com/recalls/m...clerecalls.htm

Not sure but I think the one you are talking about was a poor weld on the tank vent tube under the gas cap that would allow gas to leak out if the bike was tipped over. That would cause a fire if the engine was hot when tipped.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:22 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

what years are impacted?

Old 04-12-2013, 10:30 PM
Puffdaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@ Joe
This is what I had seen about the recall
"The Motor Company is initiating a Voluntary Emissions Recall for certain 2008-2010 Softail® and certain 2008-2011 XL and Dyna® family motorcycles. Upon exposure to certain types of fuel formulations and/or high ambient temperatures, the gas cap may develop a fitment issue of the gas cap on the tank. If this condition remains undetected, it may prevent a proper seal between the gas tank and fuel cap assembly, potentially allowing fuel-related emissions to vent through the cap. The remedy is have us perform a filler neck adjustment which will take less than 10 minutes."

My 08 FXDF was affected. It leaked frequently before, but not once since

Old 04-13-2013, 05:42 AM
11bDad
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the dealer do the recall thing earlier this year, even though I hadn't had any problems with the cap sealing. Make sure you have a small rag with you to clean out all the paint chips that they are going to make when they run the tool in there. Earlier thread on this alerted me to be aware of that. I would've thought the tech would have cleaned them up, but he didn't.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:20 AM
Tepidy
Tourer

I had zero issues with mine although I had my bike at the dealer last month for tires and they automatically performed the recall.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:01 AM
W.C. Acree
Stage III

Any other remedy besides the twisty reamy recall thing? been back to local dealer three times with my 2010 Heritage. Was just a slight drip now and again now is trails and fumes not sure I like the FIX.
Thinking cap may be next option
Curt

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Filler neck Recall