Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Short Shots Mounting Bracket Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 02:10 PM
C-gar
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V&H Short Shots Mounting Bracket Failure

All,

This isn't Dyna specific, but since it happened on an FXD I'm putting it here. Basically bought an 03 FXD with 2K on the clock last October. Garage kept, stock, except for some Vance and Hines Short Shots. I'd had these on a Vstar before, they are the cheapest "name brand" exhaust you can get. Whatever, got a deal on the bike.

In getting ready to do my 5k service, I start hearing this rattle on engine braking. I take it to the wrench, and he says heat shields are broke. Sure enough a weld for the hose clamps broke off, and two more were rusted. So I run sans heatshields and wrap the pipe. A week later I hear another rattle. It starts driving me crazy until I go under the bike, and find the support bracket tearing in half from the bottom up like someone ripping a sheet of paper. You can move the pipes up and done and hence hear a squeak/rattle.

V&H offers to sell me replacement parts because I'm the second owner, never mind the pipes have 5K miles on them and look like they are one step from the Junkyard. I politely tell them that if they arnt interested in fixing thier defective product, I'm not interested in running thier pipes.

Summary: Caveat Emptor. You get what you pay for, and unless you are looking for a temporary exhuast system, I can't reccomend these. if nothing else the quality of thier metal is atrocious.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:14 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well in hindsight, checking and maintaining the proper torque specs probably had a lot to do with the longevity of the bracket. And as far as the pipe quality goes, if you are referring to bluing or other coloration, that has to do with the heat your engine puts off, which is related to your tune. I'd make sure to check both these things when going with a new pipe so they dont fall short of your expectations... And as for VH not giving you free parts, well what company does?

The following users liked this post:
wagtenor (05-19-2019)
Old 05-06-2013, 02:25 PM
C-gar
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Dynam1te
Well in hindsight, checking and maintaining the proper torque specs probably had a lot to do with the longevity of the bracket. And as far as the pipe quality goes, if you are referring to bluing or other coloration, that has to do with the heat your engine puts off, which is related to your tune. I'd make sure to check both these things when going with a new pipe so they dont fall short of your expectations... And as for VH not giving you free parts, well what company does?
Alot of companies will make it right if it's a material defect. I had no problems with the bluing, or looks for that matter until i had to wrap them. My complaints are about bad welds and their metal quality. FWIW for a short pipe, bike ran decent, gave up some torque but that's to be expected. I just expect exhaust systems to hold together for more than 5k miles.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:36 AM
Campbell Foster
Stage II
Default Vance and Hines Bracket Failure

I have just returned from having my Vance and Hines Short Shot pipes replaced with Sportster 48 stock pipes. The mechanic showed me the V&H pipe bracket which was ripped exactly as you described. I have just bought the bike and it has 2K on the clock. Very disappointed as I was hoping to sell them on. Looks like I'll have to get the bracket welded or replaced.

Originally Posted by C-gar
All,

This isn't Dyna specific, but since it happened on an FXD I'm putting it here. Basically bought an 03 FXD with 2K on the clock last October. Garage kept, stock, except for some Vance and Hines Short Shots. I'd had these on a Vstar before, they are the cheapest "name brand" exhaust you can get. Whatever, got a deal on the bike.

In getting ready to do my 5k service, I start hearing this rattle on engine braking. I take it to the wrench, and he says heat shields are broke. Sure enough a weld for the hose clamps broke off, and two more were rusted. So I run sans heatshields and wrap the pipe. A week later I hear another rattle. It starts driving me crazy until I go under the bike, and find the support bracket tearing in half from the bottom up like someone ripping a sheet of paper. You can move the pipes up and done and hence hear a squeak/rattle.

V&H offers to sell me replacement parts because I'm the second owner, never mind the pipes have 5K miles on them and look like they are one step from the Junkyard. I politely tell them that if they arnt interested in fixing thier defective product, I'm not interested in running thier pipes.

Summary: Caveat Emptor. You get what you pay for, and unless you are looking for a temporary exhuast system, I can't reccomend these. if nothing else the quality of thier metal is atrocious.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:15 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

The heat shield brackets are quite frail, I'm not surprised of failure especially if you park your bike outside often overnight. When I was installing them I was already a bit concerned.

The actual exhaust bracket though is a chunk of metal that should not ever fail.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:29 PM
Campbell Foster
Stage II
Default Vance and Hines Bracket Failure

Originally Posted by bigbadpoppa
The heat shield brackets are quite frail, I'm not surprised of failure especially if you park your bike outside often overnight. When I was installing them I was already a bit concerned.

The actual exhaust bracket though is a chunk of metal that should not ever fail.
It was the actual exhaust bracket that had split. This is a fairly hefty piece of steel to tear like this.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:41 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,423 Likes on 906 Posts

My python bracket broke a couple years back. Buddy at work welded it up. Been good every since. Kinda is a dyna thing with the vibes no??

Old 05-19-2019, 01:43 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

Holy f...the actual exhaust bracket? That thing is a chunk of thick metal! I'm surprised. Crazy.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:05 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,423 Likes on 906 Posts

Mine broke right on the bend. So don’t think it’s that crazy. The steel was probably Toyota grade. Just couldn’t handle the torque monster! Lol!