Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   49mm Ness Fairing Install Question (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/886875-49mm-ness-fairing-install-question.html)

Clown Shoes 06-29-2013 05:51 PM

49mm Ness Fairing Install Question

Gents,
I've been doing some research as I narrow down my options on a quarter fairing. Right now I'm going in between a Conely retro quarter fairing and the Ness Wide Glide Fairing (part number 06087).

Before I go on I ride a 2011 Fat Bob and recently bought a 5 3/4" headlight to replace the 7" Fatboy headlight... which replaced the stock dual. As I look into fairings I keep reading "mounting requires fabrication of custom mounting bracket" but nobody has been able to give me an answer on what that means. Which mounting hardware do I need and what else will I have to do?
So if anyone out there who has made this work can explain it for me I'll be very grateful. I'm pretty confused since this isn't a standard install on the FXDF and I obviously want to get the right fairing as well as the correct mounting hardware. Thanks!

clown

DYNARYDER87 06-29-2013 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Clown Shoes (Post 11469588)
Gents,
I've been doing some research as I narrow down my options on a quarter fairing. Right now I'm going in between a Conely retro quarter fairing and the Ness Wide Glide Fairing (part number 06087).

Before I go on I ride a 2011 Fat Bob and recently bought a 5 3/4" headlight to replace the 7" Fatboy headlight... which replaced the stock dual. As I look into fairings I keep reading "mounting requires fabrication of custom mounting bracket" but nobody has been able to give me an answer on what that means. Which mounting hardware do I need and what else will I have to do?
So if anyone out there who has made this work can explain it for me I'll be very grateful. I'm pretty confused since this isn't a standard install on the FXDF and I obviously want to get the right fairing as well as the correct mounting hardware. Thanks!

clown

I responded to your pm clown shoes. Any more questions just let me know bud

DYNARYDER87 06-29-2013 06:41 PM

For the fairing you want (Ness Wide Glide Fairing (part number 06087) your going to have to get turn signal relocation clamps or HD windshield clamps and drill holes in the fairing. Your also going to need to buy a headlight relocation bracket. Your better off buying the 49mm Ness fairing kit, it comes with everything you need to mount the fairing. Check out the pictures in my profile and you'll find a bunch of when I had the ness kit on my bike

brandon95354 06-29-2013 07:18 PM

fairing

are fat bobs the wider forks like wideglides? fxdb and fxdc are mid glide? buy the part you want, you can figure out a way to make it work...i think conleys makes a quarter fairing for the wide glide front ends???not sure, but after the reviews of conleys i wont buy anything from him unless i am in SD to look at the part in person

i think americanclassicmotors.net or .com or .biz.....sells the ness fairing kit you want for $249

Northbound Southerner 06-29-2013 08:49 PM

I know you say you have it narrowed down but I have to say this...there is no way I would even consider a Ness fairing when you can get a Rifle for about the same money. They are not on the same planet when it comes to quality...the Harley fairing is pretty well made though. No way I would consider a Ness and I have owned one...I have heard terrible stuff about Conleys customer service too...do a search on here...

Clown Shoes 06-30-2013 12:51 AM

themouth - I definitely looked into the rifle fairing but I've heard and read several times that being as tall as I am (6'4") it will deflect all that wind and buffeting straight into my face. Aside from that I've heard really good things about the rifle. If you don't mind, what was it about the Ness that you didn't like? The number one reason I've decided on a quarter fairing is to reduce the fatigue on my stomach and chest. Will it not do that for me?

Brandon - the FXDF and FXDWG run 49mm forks, and I think the Street Bob as well (maybe just certain years - I'm not sure but there's a long line of guys on this forum that could tell you for sure).

DYNARYDER87 - thanks man! PM on the way.