Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sharpie's Brake Pedal Mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 10:02 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Sharpie's Rear Brake Pedal Mod

The rear brake pedal on my 2009 Dyna Superglide has not been easy to use and when I have used it, it was not much of a brake. Because of the air cleaner, I would have to turn my foot in to the left just to be able to reach the factory pedal on my forward contols. That did not give me much leverage to depress the pedal. I decided there had to be a way to widen the pedal so I did not have to turn my foot in to the left and also a way to increase the pressure that I could apply to the pedal to increase breaking to the rear wheel.

Here is the mod:

I started with the nostalgic brake pedal cover from HD $39.95 and a piece of steel strap measuring 2" X 5" X 3/8" $1.00.

I then took the steel strap and shaped it using a grinder to fit inside the new pedal cover. Once fitted to the cover, I drilled a 5/16" hole to fit the bolt hole of the cover. I then primed and painted the steel strap black.

When the OED brake pad was removed from the pedal, the pedal will have the same 5/16" hole. There are two types of OEM pads on the rear brake pedal. One is bolted on as shown in the pictures and the other is a slip on that has glue and two rubber notches that fit the notches in the chrome pedal. In some cases the hole in brake pedal may have to be drilled to the 5/16" requirement.

After the painted steel strap is dry, all you need to do is bolt it on. One added touch was to put the HD Bar and Shield Logo sticker on the back of the pedal. This new pedal is over twice as wide as the OEM pedal and helps the rider to get his foot on the pedal without turning your foot in to the left and also increasing the pressure that can be applied to the rear brake. Ths should increase the safety of being able to stop in a shorter distance.

I also adjusted the pedal to make it stand up a little closer to my toes or stand a little taller, depending on how you want to say it. I've added pictures but I'm restricted to 5 at a time so I will add more in the next post.

Any questions, PM me.

Attached Thumbnails Sharpie's Brake Pedal Mod-raw-metal-and-nostalgic-cover.jpg   Sharpie's Brake Pedal Mod-steel-plate.jpg   Sharpie's Brake Pedal Mod-finished-backer-plate-in-cover.jpg   Sharpie's Brake Pedal Mod-brake-pedal-old-cover.jpg   Sharpie's Brake Pedal Mod-brake-pedal-no-cover.jpg  

Last edited by Sharpie; 07-21-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:08 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior

Here are more pictures:

Attached Thumbnails Sharpie's Brake Pedal Mod-new-mounted.jpg   Sharpie's Brake Pedal Mod-new-mounted-2.jpg   Sharpie's Brake Pedal Mod-mounted-backside.jpg   Sharpie's Brake Pedal Mod-mounted-back-2.jpg  

Last edited by Sharpie; 07-21-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:53 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Nice Job!!

Is the plate you made more for cosmetic looks or is it functional? Does the brake pad mount the same way as the smaller pad that bolts on Dyna's lever (not the stock one that just slides over the lever).

Old 07-22-2013, 07:51 AM
chawk610
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it... it's the small touches like that, that make bikes cool.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Sharpie
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by blueangel73
Nice Job!!

Is the plate you made more for cosmetic looks or is it functional? Does the brake pad mount the same way as the smaller pad that bolts on Dyna's lever (not the stock one that just slides over the lever).
Thanks. It is functional. The pedal cover is only made of thin chromed sheet metal that will bend if you pressed on it. The steel plate serves as the backer for the new elongated pedal and the cover only dresses it up. It bolts on just like the smaller pad bolts on. You can see in this picture showing the back of the pedal that the new pedal (Black) is much wider than the OEM (Chrome) pedal that it is bolted onto.

Attached Thumbnails Sharpie's Brake Pedal Mod-mounted-backside.jpg  

Last edited by Sharpie; 07-22-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:17 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts

I did exactly the same thing a few weeks back but used a piece of aluminum plate cut to the inside dimensions of the front cover. Polished the back side of it so the whole pedal looks shiny and chromey-esque.....

That offset washer they give you is useless as the rubber insert just bends around it when you press the pedal.

Last edited by Krazy8s; 07-24-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:57 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

nice!

Old 07-24-2013, 04:03 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did a similiar mod because I felt I had to pigeon toe the use the back brake.
Here is a pic of how mine turned out:

Here is the link that gave me the idea:
http://www.moccsplace.com/images/harley/pedal/pedal.htm

Attached Thumbnails Sharpie's Brake Pedal Mod-100_1317.jpg   Sharpie's Brake Pedal Mod-100_1318.jpg  

Last edited by rooti; 07-24-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior

Rooti, Is yours a forward control or mid control?

Old 07-31-2013, 05:27 AM
Sharpie
Road Warrior

Well I rode through the dragon and through the Cherohala Skyway yesterday and the rear brake pedal mod really works well. There was no turning my toes inward to reach the pedal and the brakes actually work. Total trip length was 200 miles.

Quick Reply: Sharpie's Brake Pedal Mod