Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking shifter shaft seal after new H-D replacement? Better brand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:43 PM
balingwire
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking shifter shaft seal after new H-D replacement? Better brand?

Like many others, my inner primary bearing went out on my 2006 Dyna at 15K miles, so I replaced it with a Baker. After the repair, I went 300 miles over the course of a week without a leak, then was gone for a long family vacation and didn't ride it for 12 days. After riding 10 miles to work yesterday, oil had leaked down to below the primary case. I wiped it off, felt around, and after reading of some folks experiencing a leaking seal behind the Baker bearing, I thought I had the same problem. Last night, after getting home and letting it cool, the leak seems to be coming from around the shift shaft out of the transmission, and I had replaced this seal with a new H-D seal when I replaced the IPB.

Why would this seal seem to hold for a week after the repair, then after sitting start leaking when I rode it yesterday? Even tonight, it seemed to still be seeping slightly when feeling it, although it hasn't been dripping.

Do these leaks get worse when warm, when the bike heats up and the oil thins?

Is there a better quality shift shaft seal than the factory H-D seal? If so, which is the best aftermarket seal to go with? Thank you.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:47 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Strange. 122k and orig SS seal and no leak. Are you running engine oil in yer tranny?. You might have excessive bushing wear as well.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:56 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

How did you remove the seal? Is it possible you nicked the shaft?

Old 07-30-2013, 09:59 PM
balingwire
Advanced

This is my first H-D, and I'm learning that I'm going to have to start working on it myself if I'm going to be able to afford it. The IPB swap was my first wrenching on it, and it went well thanks to you all on this forum. Prior to me doing this, the dealer had performed the 15K service, so I assume that the fluid is correct. Just seems strange to me that I had no problems for the first week after getting it back together, then it started after sitting for 12 days. I'll ride some more before getting back into it to watch what the leak does and give time for finding and ordering the best seal.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:01 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Id stick with HD on that seal. HD spec is 20W50 motor oil. I bet if you swaped out the oil for a good gear oil syn/dyno the shaft would stop leaking. IMO engine oil it too thin for the tranny. Many threads on the subject of oil in the tranny but I bet you will find most use gear oil.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:19 PM
balingwire
Advanced

I was able to easily spin it out with a small screwdriver and didn't nick the shaft. I'll run some threads and see about running a different oil.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:30 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

read the article called oil and spiders. http://bakerdrivetrain.com/wordpress...Drivetrain.pdf

Old 07-31-2013, 07:45 AM
balingwire
Advanced

Thank you, Mark. What GL-5 oil do you recommend for the H-D 6-sp transmission?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:43 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Id stick with HD on that seal. HD spec is 20W50 motor oil. I bet if you swaped out the oil for a good gear oil syn/dyno the shaft would stop leaking. IMO engine oil it too thin for the tranny.
Gear oil is about the same thickness or viscosity as engine oil. The viscosity numbers are so different because the rating systems for engine oil and gear oil are different.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:43 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

In the HD transmissions I use Severe GearŪ 75W-90.
I find a lot of the clunk is gone, easier to find neutral, smoother shifting.

in my Baker od6 transmission I use Severe GearŪ 75W-140

Hard to feel the transmission change gears, it is effortless, falls into neutral, transmission is very quiet. I have to look to make sure the neutral light is off to know it is in gear.
This is only my comparison nothing more.

Quick Reply: Leaking shifter shaft seal after new H-D replacement? Better brand?