Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom luggage rack for my pet carrier the dog loves my street bob!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Peter Black
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Custom luggage rack for my pet carrier the dog loves my street bob!

i just bought one of the pet carriers that saddlemen makes. Over all its a well made and thought out carrier, except that the bottom is not very rigid and sags when you crank down the straps. when attached to the bike the bag no longer has a level bottom, so my dog can not get comfortable and enjoy the ride.

can anyone recommend a good welder/fabricator that could make a rack that is the same size as the pet carrier and mounts the same way as a motherwell solo rack?

any leads or feed back would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Old 08-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't you just re-enforce the bottom yourself with something between the bag and the rack?

Maybe some aluminum sheet, plywood or plexiglass.

Post a pic of your rack and the bag...and your dog.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Peter Black
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mascman
Can't you just re-enforce the bottom yourself with something between the bag and the rack?

Maybe some aluminum sheet, plywood or plexiglass.

Post a pic of your rack and the bag...and your dog.
I don't have a luggage rack the carrier came with yoke that goes under a 2 up seat. the bag sits on the seat and is attached to the yoke. i already tried wood but that just made it unstable

not my dog but you get the idea

if had a rack that fit the outside dimensions it would be better, then i could use some threaded links to attach it to the d rings

Old 08-05-2013, 10:32 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

perhaps a seat with a big fat rear section would be better.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:04 AM
Peter Black
Road Captain

Originally Posted by slozomby
perhaps a seat with a big fat rear section would be better.
Ya don't think that's going to do it either. I have to find a welder that knows bikes

Old 08-06-2013, 12:24 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I make a lot of luggage racks for folks.
You have a couple of options that come to mind first hand.
Unless you are just wanting a custom rack you can use some plexiglass and use contact cement, the good stuff in a small bottle with a small brush in the cap. Available at most hardware stores. This stuff will not let go. Glue it to the bottom of the bag and adding weight to hold it over night.
You will want to use thick glass. at least 3/8 inch thickness. Aluminum will be better.
On the bottom, the part that will touch the rack glue rubber to protect the rack from scratches.
If you have a good photo of the rack I will check it out, part number will be better to so some research with.

Found them. due to the curve of the rack and the spacing of the tubes I am not sure if you will be happy with this type of rack for your buddy.
The plexiglass can be curved by using heat. I use boiling water to soften it so it can be curved. It is tricky I might add because of the amount of heat it takes to bend it. Not hard just the heat. you can use a torch but need a wide heating tip.
I will see if I can find a link to some folks that will make you what you want. They do all kinds of custom stuff for bikes only.

Last edited by dirtdobber; 08-06-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Peter Black
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
I make a lot of luggage racks for folks.
You have a couple of options that come to mind first hand.
Unless you are just wanting a custom rack you can use some plexiglass and use contact cement, the good stuff in a small bottle with a small brush in the cap. Available at most hardware stores. This stuff will not let go. Glue it to the bottom of the bag and adding weight to hold it over night.
You will want to use thick glass. at least 3/8 inch thickness. Aluminum will be better.
On the bottom, the part that will touch the rack glue rubber to protect the rack from scratches.
If you have a good photo of the rack I will check it out, part number will be better to so some research with.

Found them. due to the curve of the rack and the spacing of the tubes I am not sure if you will be happy with this type of rack for your buddy.
The plexiglass can be curved by using heat. I use boiling water to soften it so it can be curved. It is tricky I might add because of the amount of heat it takes to bend it. Not hard just the heat. you can use a torch but need a wide heating tip.
I will see if I can find a link to some folks that will make you what you want. They do all kinds of custom stuff for bikes only.
hey dirtdobber I don't have a luggage rack and rather then buy one that i won't be happy with, i'd like to have one made that is specific to the carrier see post #3

Old 08-06-2013, 10:54 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member

Yes, I seen that but sometimes you can find what you like and with a little of adjustments it works just fine.
Since you are going to have it powder coated it would be really easy to make one work. Lower cost at that. It doesn't mater what it fits as long it is what you want.
I turned a tourpak rack into a luggage rack for a guy once. Talking about big.
All you would need to do is weld some tabs on the sissy bar to connect to. I warn you though. If it is powder coated all the powder coating has to be removed before welding. or you will have a mess on your hands. So if you welder doesn't know that make sure you pass it on to him/her.
I'm still looking for my link for you.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:00 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Old 08-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Peter Black
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
Thanks
I'll check em out.

Quick Reply: Custom luggage rack for my pet carrier the dog loves my street bob!