Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping out lowers, help with #s

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 09:36 AM
MattFXDB
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping out lowers, help with #s

Hey guys I'm swapping out the lowers on my 08 FXDB and Im just wanting to make sure that before info further the new parts I have will be ok.

I purchased some black lowers from here and was told that they would work on my bike. I've also heard that they won't. So can anyone tell me based on the #s stamped on the parts below if swapping them out for each other will be a problem:

Existing left slider: G5C5-30-L SA-1
New left slider: G5C8-80-L SA-1

Existing right slider: G5C5-30-R SA-1
New right slider: G5C5-80-R SA-2

Also, I've got the fork tubes out of the trees but have not yet disassembled them down to the lowers, anyone got tips or suggestions?

Last edited by MattFXDB; 10-20-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:35 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Those aren't part numbers from HD. Probably the Showa part numbers. But just looking at the caliper mounts they don't seem the same distance apart.
Maybe this will help: http://www.shopronniesharleydavidson...partfinder.htm

Old 10-20-2013, 02:20 PM
MattFXDB
Tourer

Originally Posted by nevil
Those aren't part numbers from HD. Probably the Showa part numbers. But just looking at the caliper mounts they don't seem the same distance apart.
Maybe this will help: http://www.shopronniesharleydavidson...partfinder.htm
Thanks, but I don't know if knowing the actual part #s is going to help as the new ones are from 2 different bikes I believe and different years, but that doesn't mean they aren't interchangeable.

For what it's worth, the seller said the new ones brake side is from a WG and the non brake side is a SG.

Anyone else got any idea if it will work? As far as I can tell they are identical other than cosmetically. The caliper mounts are the same.

I've already got the bike all torn up I don't want to get these put on and filled with fork oil only to find out the tire, brake, or fender won't mount properly.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:32 PM
Jarrod Jackfert
6th Gear
Default Lower forks

I know its an older thread but im having the same issue. I bought lower chrome forks for my 2013 fxdc. Setting the old and new forks side by side all mounts and holes line up but my caliper barely fits on the fork and its rubbing on the outside pad to where the wheel barely spins and help advice would be appreciated thanks guys

Old 01-05-2019, 03:22 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarrod Jackfert
I know its an older thread but im having the same issue. I bought lower chrome forks for my 2013 fxdc. Setting the old and new forks side by side all mounts and holes line up but my caliper barely fits on the fork and its rubbing on the outside pad to where the wheel barely spins and help advice would be appreciated thanks guys
Have any Pics?

Two possibilities for having 49mm Dyna sliders where the caliper-to-rotor alignment is "Off" when installing on your Mid-glide FXDC

1. If your fender mounts are the same ... you are incorrectly using a FXDWG Wideglide Left Slider
2. If your fender mounts are different ... you are incorrectly using a FXDF Fat Bob Left Slider

Old 01-05-2019, 03:29 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,546 Likes on 3,057 Posts

If everything else works, caliper spacers can pull that left caliper off of the rotor. They are just very thin 10mm washers basically. I've had to use them a couple of times over the years when I'm "customizing" stuff.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:38 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Originally Posted by Stiggy
If everything else works, caliper spacers can pull that left caliper off of the rotor. They are just very thin 10mm washers basically. I've had to use them a couple of times over the years when I'm "customizing" stuff.
You would be moving the caliper in the wrong direction

there are ways to correct it, but NOT that way

Last edited by multihdrdr; 01-05-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:54 PM
Jarrod Jackfert
6th Gear

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Have any Pics?

Two possibilities for having 49mm Dyna sliders where the caliper-to-rotor alignment is "Off" when installing on your Mid-glide FXDC

1. If your fender mounts are the same ... you are incorrectly using a FXDWG Wideglide Left Slider
2. If your fender mounts are different ... you are incorrectly using a FXDF Fat Bob Left Slider
i dont have any pics at the moment but i came across a wheel space kit i was thinking since its not off by much i could use a wheel spacer that was just a tad bit smaller but not sure how that would center the wheel up or if it would have any effect at all

Old 01-05-2019, 03:59 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member

i dont have any pics at the moment but i came across a wheel space kit i was thinking since its not off by much i could use a wheel spacer that was just a tad bit smaller but not sure how that would center the wheel up or if it would have any effect at all
If you can "Live with" the New wheel/tire "location" in relation to the fender/fork legs, then yes, you can INCREASE the Left spacer width to align the rotor within the caliper, but I would then SUBTRACT from the Right Spacer width whatever amount you added to the Left

Last edited by multihdrdr; 01-05-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:12 PM
Jarrod Jackfert
6th Gear

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
If you can "Live with" the New wheel/tire "location" in relation to the fender/fork legs, then yes, you can reduce the Left spacer width to align the rotor within the caliper, but I would then ADD to the Right Spacer width whatever amount you removed from the Left
Do you have any other ideas that i could try?

Quick Reply: Swapping out lowers, help with #s