Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Oil blowing out of carb (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/937717-oil-blowing-out-of-carb.html)

1996FXDSconv 01-31-2014 10:14 AM

Oil blowing out of carb

I've got a 96 FXDS, I've got oil blowing out of the air filter area on to gas tank and leaking out on floor. I've read that putting PCV valves in the breather lines between the air filter and breather will reduce this...oil level in the bike is below full. Has anyone heard of this, or is there a better option for me to fix this?

Also, got a leak from the front forks at the seals (left side). Is this a tough job for a novice to fix? and do I need any special tools?

I appreciate any help I can get on this.

upflying 01-31-2014 02:06 PM

On cars, excessive blow by is caused by worn rings. Basically combustion gasses is leaking past the piston and into the crankcase.
I'm no brain surgeon on this topic but someone at a higher pay grade might chime in. What is the history on the engine? Maybe you should do a cylinder leak down or compression test.

PennShovel 01-31-2014 03:54 PM

The internet is a valuable resource but nothing beats a factory manual.

Foxster 01-31-2014 03:59 PM

Most usual cause for this is having the oil level a bit too high.

Use a turkey baster to remove oil until its at or below the mid point and then see how it goes.

Robbie13 01-31-2014 04:56 PM

Bike been sitting a while?

fxdlx 01-31-2014 05:22 PM

"Also, got a leak from the front forks at the seals (left side). Is this a tough job for a novice to fix? and do I need any special tools?"

It's not too tuff for a novice if A: you have a shop manual. B: you are mechanically inclined.
I was able to do mine without buying tools. But I don't know what you have on hand. I use a large socket or pipe to push in the seal.
Don't know about your blow by. I suggest doing more searches.

seniorsuperglideE8 01-31-2014 06:12 PM

If I remember right there is a screen or something like that for the lifters on the old EVO engines. if that's plugged up maybe there is a oil blockage going up to the vents. Sorry EVOs are not my fort'e.

Robbie13 01-31-2014 06:16 PM

Reason I asked. The Evo I had sat too long without starting and puked oil out of air cleaner. After it cleared out it was fine. I checked oil level after.

HarDlife 01-31-2014 06:56 PM

Puking oil after sitting awhile is usually a problem experienced with bikes that have the oil tank mounted higher than the check valve in the oil pump (i.e., softys).
My money would be on overfilled as well.

Robbie13 02-01-2014 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by HarDlife (Post 12266670)
Puking oil after sitting awhile is usually a problem experienced with bikes that have the oil tank mounted higher than the check valve in the oil pump (i.e., softys).
My money would be on overfilled as well.

Yes, mine was a softy. My bad.