Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas tank removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 02:58 PM
rich06hd
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas tank removal Question

I want to pull the gas tank off my 06 Steet Bob to install some new handlebars. The question I have is when i pull the quick disconnect off the gas tank is their a check valve in the tank that prevents the gas from leaking out of the tank? The tank is full from winter storage and i dont want to drain the tank. Any suggestions?

Old 02-18-2014, 03:01 PM
DJY
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

On my '09 there is.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:22 PM
fattybob
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rich06hd
I want to pull the gas tank off my 06 Steet Bob to install some new handlebars. The question I have is when i pull the quick disconnect off the gas tank is their a check valve in the tank that prevents the gas from leaking out of the tank? The tank is full from winter storage and i dont want to drain the tank. Any suggestions?

Do you have a cross-over line under the front of the tank? If you do, there is no check valve on the cross-over and it is a pain to remove the crossover without spilling gas. You are suppose to drain the tank into another container when the crossover tube is removed.

There is a check valve for the pressurized fuel line on the left side of the tank. I think you are suppose to alleviate the fuel pressure by removing the fuse for the fuel pump and hitting the start button briefly before disconnecting it.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:27 PM
07HDStreetBob
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rich06hd
The QD on the left side has a check valve and will only spill a few drops. For the crossover in the front under the frame, pinch it off with 2 pairs of vice grips and cut the line in the middle. A new line can be bought from any auto store for a few bucks. Gonna be a mess when you put it back on though if you don't drain the tank....unless you are really quick lol

Why do you have to pull the tank for new handlebars?

Old 02-18-2014, 07:10 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You want to run the engine and pull the fuel pump fuse until it runs itself out of gas. Then you can disconnect the quick connect, cover the top of the heads with a towel (or you will the heads will get scratched with the clamps on the crossover), take out both tank bolts, and slide the tank back a few inches. This will be plenty of room to get to all the wires...no reason to take off the tank completely.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:57 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Also the service covers for the tank and fender are worth their weight in gold, after the first time I dropped a socket on my front fender I bought them. Think they're $25 a pop. At least throw a blanket over the tins while your working above them, good luck

Old 02-18-2014, 08:05 PM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

I have always just unbolted the tank and slid it back with installing new bars. No need to remove it completely. Changed the crossover line when I installed the tank lift. And yeah it was a pain in the *** and spilled some fuel.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:07 PM
rgr357
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just pulled my tank on my 14wg. I got a gas can ready with a long funnel and made sure the short fuel line would reach the top of the funnel.. just used a piece of bailing wire to hold it in place after disconnecting the fuel line. My tank drained 95% of the fuel that way. Took some time tho, think I left it for about 2 hrs. I then clamped the crossover line on each side and cut. After that pulled the tank & moved it around till I drained the remaining from the crossover lines. (careful it will still leak out of the fuel line, at least mine did)

All in all didnt make much of a mess and it wast that bad. Before removing the tank to have a piece of cardboard or such over the rocker covers so that if you have to set it back down (after removing the bolts) to not damage & have a place ready to set it down.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:09 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ! rock103 !
I have always just unbolted the tank and slid it back with installing new bars. No need to remove it completely. Changed the crossover line when I installed the tank lift. And yeah it was a pain in the *** and spilled some fuel.
Yeah me too on the spilled gas while doing the tanklift, even though I syphoned all the gas I could out.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:40 AM
rich06hd
5th Gear

Thanks for all the great ideas. Will probably just pull the tank back and change the bars that way. Wish spring would get here. Sick of the snow.

Quick Reply: Gas tank removal Question