Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FORWARD CONTROLS TO MID CONTROLS

Old 03-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Larryc5079
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FORWARD CONTROLS TO MID CONTROLS

I am looking to buy my first Harley this year and I have a question about mid and forward controls. I have seen several threads about changing from mid to forward controls, but have not seen one going from forward to mid. What would approx. cost be to do that? Is that something that needs to be done at dealer or can it be done by owner? I have found a used Custom that has forward controls. I have sat on a wide glide and super glide and the wide glide seemed a little more comfortable, but not sure I like the idea of having my feet out in front of me. I have not riden either Harley, but my metric has more ofmid controls. I am 5' 9" with 30" inseam.

Any advise would greatly be appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Larry in Ohio

Old 03-21-2007, 01:42 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: FORWARD CONTROLS TO MID CONTROLS

I am your height and have the same inseam.

Went with forwards on my Low Rider and think they are more comforable than the mids.

Sammi

Old 03-21-2007, 02:01 PM
baxter
Road Warrior

had mids on my sportster and still have them on my dyna. personally i feel the bike is more agile and easier to control with my feet below me rather then out front. i live in a high traffic area and ride everyday there isnt snow or ice on the groundto and from work and im always dodging ******** on cellphones and get cut off or nearly missed everyday. if i lived in a less densly populated area id love to have fowards because i guess i would feel more comfortable and less defensive on the road. im considering highway pegs to stretch my legs on long rides. just depends on you though, i see most around with fowards.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:08 PM
davidchristopher
Cruiser

If, for example, you were to get a bike with forwards it would not be difficult to 'revert' back to mids. On a wideglide you would need a new inner and outer primary, on other dynas you probably wouldn't. I'm sure someone (like me) would be happy to sell you just about everything you needed. On my 06 fxdbi (notice, I didn't call it "bob") I switched to forwards and it's WAY more comfortable for me. I have the original wrinkleblack inner and outer primary, the original shift / break hardware and brackets in the shop. As I'm sure many others do also.

Handling is a little different, but you adapt very quickly. The stance isn't so that your legs are stretched so far out (I also have a 30" inseam) - and to me it just feels right. But... that's personal preference. You do what you think is best.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:00 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As the revious post mentioned - the biggest part is what happend to the primary when the bike was changed to forwards.
If the shaft spline was just covered by a cap - then it's real easy, otherwise the primarys need yanking - and then it becomes more work and parts. You might like the forwards so try em first - most here do.
If the old shaft is just capped i think I have all the parts you need, perhpas with the exception of the bolts that mount the mid brackets to the frame.
I'd sell em to you real cheap - like $10+shipping. I think this includes L&R mid mounting brackets, stock shift shaft, brake pedal and shaft. I'll check tonight to see exactly what I have - came off a 2005 SG - not sure of fitment thru the years.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:38 PM
someday69
Advanced

on my 02fxd,,I have all three,,I got the forwards,mid,and highway pegs,,,

Old 03-21-2007, 10:29 PM
soup48
Road Captain

When you have the forwards, you'll never want the mids. I rode my wife's bike the other day and man what a difference. I feel open with the forwards and confind with the mids.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:28 AM
sporty79
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Call me a rebel, but I like the mids. Keeping your feet under you keeps your center of gravity aligned with the bike and gives you better control. Check this video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=c4HZcKJ55...ed&search=

You can always add highway pegs to stretch your legs on long trips.

I'm 6' with a 32" inseam.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:31 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In "general chat" I started a thread on this months ago and it had a couple of hundred responses. There was some great information.

For me, I only like mids. I have highway pegs if I want to change positions. That way I have the best of both worlds.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:13 AM
RoadKingon
Advanced

I like the comfort of forwards but mids offer more control and better riding posture. are you gonna do twisties or straight roads?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FORWARD CONTROLS TO MID CONTROLS