Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

foot clutch jockey shift for 2010 FXDC

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 09:23 PM
OleWhiskey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb foot clutch jockey shift for 2010 FXDC?

I know there are a couple of threads about the suicide kits but I never saw a real answer to as the difference between something like the widowmaker shift kit vs the foot clutch jockey shift kit.

So here is the deal, I have a 2010 FXDC with the forward controls. I replaced the parts on the bike back to factory so I can build it from ground up but making it look as factory as possible with an old style twist. I was interested in the the widowmaker kit but after researching this kit, it may be too dangerous for the everyday rider like me. Currently residing in tampa, FL until I move back to Bristol, Va/TN (homeTown) hwy 421!

anyways, my question is what do you guys think for my FXDC is best and comfortable if it were your bike? widow maker or a foot clutch jockey shift setup?

Now I am leaning towards the footclutch Jockey shift kit more but not Completely sold yet. but if I were to get the foot clutch jockey shift kit. Where is the best place to get one for my bike?

here is the before and after pics of my bike as well if anyone was wondering.

the chrome is the final product for right now, with the Black ice paint scheme.
the black on this paint looks good but it was dingy looking, actually looking into a stage IV kit and some drag bars later on.

Last edited by OleWhiskey; 03-01-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:12 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off, you have an absolutely beautiful bike. I do wonder though how one 'restores' a 2010 model though.

Best friend has a '52 Pan with the foot clutch/tank shift. (This is also the 1/2 year the foot shift was introduced and the foot clutch/tank shift was optional for '53 & '54) The bike is clumsy to ride even by '50s standards. Granted just a 3-speed (I think), the take off is carefully orchstrated even on level ground and upshifts take complete forethought and planning. Oh, it's a blast to ride such a nostalgic contraption into a bike night but it is not an enjoyable cruiser or even suitable for poker runs. This is WAY more than just a rider's adjustment to a right shift.

Given your skills, I'm sure it will be a fun project for you. However, I may look real hard for someone's used kit as I believe the novelty quickly wears off. Sorry but after all, a foot clutch/tank shift is really a complete anachronism on a 2010 design. The FC/TS styling que also needs a hardtail and a bigass plunger saddle too. Perhaps a Softail Deluxe with it's period correct hardtail look and giant saddle with chrome grab bar would carry it better?

Sorry if I had nothing to offer on a kit.

Last edited by Mr Bentwrench; 03-01-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:53 AM
OleWhiskey
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mr Bentwrench
First off, you have an absolutely beautiful bike. I do wonder though how one 'restores' a 2010 model though.

Best friend has a '52 Pan with the foot clutch/tank shift. (This is also the 1/2 year the foot shift was introduced and the foot clutch/tank shift was optional for '53 & '54) The bike is clumsy to ride even by '50s standards. Granted just a 3-speed (I think), the take off is carefully orchstrated even on level ground and upshifts take complete forethought and planning. Oh, it's a blast to ride such a nostalgic contraption into a bike night but it is not an enjoyable cruiser or even suitable for poker runs. This is WAY more than just a rider's adjustment to a right shift.

Given your skills, I'm sure it will be a fun project for you. However, I may look real hard for someone's used kit as I believe the novelty quickly wears off. Sorry but after all, a foot clutch/tank shift is really a complete anachronism on a 2010 design. The FC/TS styling que also needs a hardtail and a bigass plunger saddle too. Perhaps a Softail Deluxe with it's period correct hardtail look and giant saddle with chrome grab bar would carry it better?

Sorry if I had nothing to offer on a kit.
Thank you, It took me a while to find this bike and the black ice color, reminds of my fathers bike when he was in the Navy. also I fixed the wording to "I replaced the parts on" instead of restored. lol.

You make some valuable points. This was something I thought would be a small conversion hobby project as I call it. I really like the way the jockey shift looks, I think this project would be one of the very last things I'll do and will come back to later on after I get some changes done and see if it still is of any interest.

Thanks again

if anyone else wants to chime in, please do

Old 03-01-2014, 07:39 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bwrian
Thank you, It took me a while to find this bike and the black ice color, reminds of my fathers bike when he was in the Navy. also I fixed the wording to "I replaced the parts on" instead of restored. lol.

You make some valuable points. This was something I thought would be a small conversion hobby project as I call it. I really like the way the jockey shift looks, I think this project would be one of the very last things I'll do and will come back to later on after I get some changes done and see if it still is of any interest.

Thanks again

if anyone else wants to chime in, please do
I had a suicide clutch when i was a teenager on a '47 knuckle.
Don't do it!
here's the scene;
Late night partying, 3am, semi-buzzed, riding home and coming to a stop...better be leaning to the right because if you miss neutral you will have to keep the clutch in and try and hold the bike up with your brake foot.
You will fall over right at the intersection.
F***in hilarious to watch, not fun to your paint job...ask me how I know

p.s. [edit] I didn't have a front brake though, maybe you will love it...hehe

Last edited by FBinSoCal; 03-01-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:12 AM
OleWhiskey
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FBinSoCal
I had a suicide clutch when i was a teenager on a '47 knuckle.
Don't do it!
here's the scene;
Late night partying, 3am, semi-buzzed, riding home and coming to a stop...better be leaning to the right because if you miss neutral you will have to keep the clutch in and try and hold the bike up with your brake foot.
You will fall over right at the intersection.
F***in hilarious to watch, not fun to your paint job...ask me how I know

p.s. [edit] I didn't have a front brake though, maybe you will love it...hehe
lol, I don't drink so one part isn't going to be a problem, plus with the front brake this will be easier too.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:14 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well yeah, provided that you have your foot on the clutch or are already in neutral. It's a right leg down ONLY ride.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:29 PM
TRacer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although my bike is not a Dyna, here is a pic of a setup I put together that I've been running on my Sporty for about 7 years now that might help give you some ideas. This is the same bike I took my then 11-year old kid from So Cal to Washington DC on. I moved the throttle to the left hand side, hence the single cable you see on the left handgrip; you can also see the foot clutch pedal toward the bottom of the photo.

EDIT: Setting up your bike this way is a good way to ensure that your ride will remain where you parked it last, as a potential thief learned on 12/15/2013 when he tried to steal my Sporty. After busting out the fork lock, he got so caught up in trying to figure my bike out he didn't notice the three LEO squad cars pull up behind him after my neighbor called 911.

Attached Thumbnails foot clutch jockey shift for 2010 FXDC-lhtthrottlesm.jpg  

Last edited by TRacer; 03-01-2014 at 12:38 PM. Reason: added note
Old 03-01-2014, 12:36 PM
OleWhiskey
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TRacer
Although my bike is not a Dyna, here is a pic of a setup I put together that I've been running on my Sporty for about 7 years now that might help give you some ideas. This is the same bike I took my then 11-year old kid from So Cal to Washington DC on. I moved the throttle to the left hand side, hence the single cable you see on the left handgrip; you can also see the foot clutch pedal toward the bottom of the photo.
I really like that setup.. is this a setup you did yourself or is this a kit? plus you have a foot clutch and hand clutch?

Old 03-01-2014, 12:56 PM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Let's see, riding down the highway, going pretty fast... some type of emergency... you need to brake hard RIGHT NOW... if you've got a hand clutch on your jockey shifter(widowmaker style), what are you going to do?

As you decelerate quickly, you need to squeeze the clutch so you don't stall but really... in an emergency situation, you want both hands on the handlebars so you don't loose control, or so you can swerve, etc. If your hand is off the bars squeezing the clutch lever, you are f*cked.

Sorry, I think such a set up is a really bad idea.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:44 PM
fez
Advanced
Default Foot clutch pedal

Originally Posted by jmb79
Let's see, riding down the highway, going pretty fast... some type of emergency... you need to brake hard RIGHT NOW... if you've got a hand clutch on your jockey shifter(widowmaker style), what are you going to do?

As you decelerate quickly, you need to squeeze the clutch so you don't stall but really... in an emergency situation, you want both hands on the handlebars so you don't loose control, or so you can swerve, etc. If your hand is off the bars squeezing the clutch lever, you are f*cked.

Sorry, I think such a set up is a really bad idea.
If you use a properly installed Harley clutch pedal with the overcenter spring attached, the clutch will stay disengaged until you press it into engagement with your toe ! You can have BOTH feet on the ground .

Quick Reply: foot clutch jockey shift for 2010 FXDC