Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Question about installing new pipes (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/946277-question-about-installing-new-pipes.html)

usmc02127 03-06-2014 04:18 PM

Question about installing new pipes

I currently have V&H StraightShots on my 2000 FxDX and will be installing a set of black 2:1 Supertrapp Supermegs. This is my first time exhaust install, is there anything I should be aware of or need (gaskets, sealant, ect) ? Or should it bolt right up? And do you think I'll need a carb ajustment after as well?
Thanks in advance.

DYNAM1C 03-06-2014 05:21 PM

you want new gaskets for sure, and definitely a carb adjustment if ur going from a 2:2 to a 2:1...

something id recommend is having another set of hands helping you out. I scraped the fins on my jugs trying to put my thunderheaders on by myself.

Cheeto 03-06-2014 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by DYNAM1C (Post 12407693)
you want new gaskets for sure, and definitely a carb adjustment if ur going from a 2:2 to a 2:1...

something id recommend is having another set of hands helping you out. I scraped the fins on my jugs trying to put my thunderheaders on by myself.

I second having an extra set of hands around. Pretty much every black pipe I've seen scratches if you just look at it wrong and it can be awkward trying to maneuver the pipes without bumping pegs, frame, jugs, etc.

KEYBEAR 03-06-2014 10:00 PM

Change pipes with the engine cold spray the exhaust bolts well with penetrating oil the night before . ( not WD-40) Do not over tighten The Exhaust bolts (very important) Also check bolts after a week or so but don,t over tighten .

maddghost 03-07-2014 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by KEYBEAR (Post 12408902)
Change pipes with the engine cold spray the exhaust bolts well with penetrating oil the night before . ( not WD-40) Do not over tighten The Exhaust bolts (very important) Also check bolts after a week or so but don,t over tighten .

tighten them down snug and the 1/2 turn further and do what keybear said after about 50 miles then leave it alone.

new crush gaskets for sure, but don't get the Screaming Eagle performance ones for a supertrapp trust on that i learned the hard way. just the normal HD flange gaskets.

The only kind of sealant you need is loctite blue where your exhaust mounts bolt into the tranny and frame. don't use loctite on the flange bolts.

Once the pipe is mounted clean off fingerprints and grime with rubbing alcohol, and do the same for the heat shields prior to firing it up.

Extra hands are handy at least to fetch you a beer!

But do be careful as they do scratch easily.

DJY 03-07-2014 07:47 AM

I use a little never seize on the flange bolts, not sure if I should, but I did.

maddghost 03-07-2014 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by DJY (Post 12409983)
I use a little never seize on the flange bolts, not sure if I should, but I did.

This is fine for a bike theat sits in the garage alot, but it's not necessary on a bike that gets steady use.

ramhunter9 03-07-2014 05:53 PM

All good info .. I DONT HAVE ANYTHING TO ADD

usmc02127 03-08-2014 08:13 AM

Thanks all for the info, great community here, learned a lot in 6 months on the forum.