Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   New primary cover leaking and then stopping... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/948661-new-primary-cover-leaking-and-then-stopping.html)

GWD1983 03-15-2014 01:34 PM

New primary cover leaking and then stopping...

Ok I have an issue. I just installed a softail primary on my Dyna street bob since the shifter rod hole wouldn't stay oil tight.

Last time when I took the primary off it leaked for about 300km's and then it stopped. Now i have the same issue, rode it today and found some leaking.

It this normal?? Can't really imagine that a new gasket should leak in or something before it actually seals.

GWD1983 03-15-2014 02:11 PM

After the ride i put i back in the garage, cleaned the primary ... nothing new hours later. Completely dry...

Jackie Paper 03-15-2014 02:36 PM

When I put my cover on, just bumped up, it will rock on the ends in and out a good 1/32. That is how much it is bowed. I put a thin film of black rtv on the inner case, put the gasket on and put a thin film on the gasket facing out. Then I carefully work from center out tighten them with a straight handle drive socket. Then I let it dry till nex day and the rtv bead will just roll off. I ride it till it's hot and go one more time around this time with my extension socket on a 1/4 drive ratchet just using it between my fingers but snugging firmly. It should not leak and if it's right, will not. Be sure to use Harley's 3 layer gasket with the V shape to it. It's $30 over here but I can usually manage to use one twice since rtv peals off.

FXD2003Rider 03-15-2014 03:05 PM

Tim,

Checking the torque settings of the primary cover bolts might help.

Here's a link to a document showing how to re-install and torque the primary cover.

Crazy 03-15-2014 05:35 PM

Not trying to be a jerk here, but did you plug the shifter shaft hole on the inner primary? A softail outer primary wont plug that hole.

Good luck.

GWD1983 03-16-2014 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy (Post 12444185)
Not trying to be a jerk here, but did you plug the shifter shaft hole on the inner primary? A softail outer primary wont plug that hole.

Good luck.

I left the shifter shaft exactly where is was :) Didn't cut it, didn't take it out. Just tie ribbed it. So that shouldn't be leaking.

It's clearly coming from the bottom... if it hasn't stopped today I'll just order the new gasket and use the RTV method with the tightening scheme :)

GWD1983 03-16-2014 09:18 AM

Shit .. first 15km not a single drop... completely dry. Another 15km .. soaked with oil ...

Mascman 03-16-2014 11:37 AM

If you are taking it apart, then you should remove the shifter shaft.

Tap the hole and use a pipe plug in it..3/8s I believe.

FXD2003Rider 03-16-2014 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tim Berkenbosch (Post 12446548)
Shit .. first 15km not a single drop... completely dry. Another 15km .. soaked with oil ...

Hmmm, not good news, Tim.

Did you check if the primary cover is bowed on a flat surface like a glass window plate or a mirror?

Are you sure the oil comes from the primary case? You could try to trace the leak with a mirror and a flashlight. The inner primary main shaft seal could be leaking as well....

GWD1983 03-16-2014 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider (Post 12447378)
Hmmm, not good news, Tim.

Did you check if the primary cover is bowed on a flat surface like a glass window plate or a mirror?

Are you sure the oil comes from the primary case? You could try to trace the leak with a mirror and a flashlight. The inner primary main shaft seal could be leaking as well....

yeah 100% sure it comes from the primairy... I'm taking it off tonight and will put it on a glass surface. If it's bend, is it easy to bend it back??