Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Icon Airfram Ghost Carbon helmet (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/950224-icon-airfram-ghost-carbon-helmet.html)

Repoguy 03-21-2014 01:21 AM

you ever try scorpion? I went down on a track day and was wearing a scorpion helmet.. after bouncing my head of the track and still be able to walk away I was sold. I love them and that's all I wore in my crotch rocket days...(still have the cbr600 track bike) im thinking bout a new lid and they will be one of the first I try.. not bagging icon, I have never wore them, I was a shoei guy for MX and scorpion for street. http://scorpionusa.com/

skinman13 03-21-2014 06:32 AM

To each his or her own...I have a full face Bell helmet that I paid too much for...it fits good and isn't really uncomfortable...but I hardly ever wear it...it makes me feel squeezed in and confined (like driving one of those tiny minuscule, "egg" cages vs my F-150) and it totally takes away from the whole riding with the wind in my hair and bugs on my face experience IMHO.

For me it is a skid-lid or nothing...don't fear the reaper, we all gotta go sometime.

03-21-2014 07:33 AM

me personally, i'd go with an Icon Variant, nice fit and looks a hell of a lot cooler..lol. but its just a nice helmet.

Lockshow 03-21-2014 08:56 AM

[quote=skinman13;12468906]it makes me feel squeezed in and confined (like driving one of those tiny minuscule, "egg" cages vs my F-150) and it totally takes away from the whole riding with the wind in my hair and bugs on my face experience IMHO. quote]

Thanks for the opinions guys! skinman13 that caged in feeling is honestly what im scared Ill get. Guess Ill just have to go try some on and see how it goes. Appreciate the help duders!

rustang 03-21-2014 12:30 PM

FWIW
all helmets fit differently. i had an icon airmada for a couple years, wanted to upgrade to a shoei.... super nice helmet but just didn't fit me. i was right between sizes. large was too big, medium would have been too small. instead i got the newest airmada. fit perfect right out the box (large). they're an amazing deal for what you get. pretty much top of the line for mid-range helmets.

Hammerhead Pat 03-21-2014 12:48 PM

I just got a Shoei RF 1200 and got to get about 400 miles with it last weekend in Daytona. Quality is top notch of course and with a helmet that costs this much($ 560 from Cycle Gear), it comes with the breath guard, chin curtain and a Pin lock shield. One of the reasons I went with this helmet was that the ventilation is supposed to be excellent. I haven't gotten that feeling yet. So far the only whiff of air I can detect is coming from the chin opening. I usually ride with a do-rag but I purposely rode without one to see if I could feel any air flowing over my noggin and didn't feel a thing. Maybe it's just me. BTW, it is a quiet helmet at highway speeds....

pab3rd 03-21-2014 01:00 PM

Have an Icon Alliance Harbinger Helmet, nice helmet, no complaints.

ryda 03-21-2014 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by skinman13 (Post 12468906)
To each his or her own...I have a full face Bell helmet that I paid too much for...it fits good and isn't really uncomfortable...but I hardly ever wear it...it makes me feel squeezed in and confined (like driving one of those tiny minuscule, "egg" cages vs my F-150) and it totally takes away from the whole riding with the wind in my hair and bugs on my face experience IMHO.

For me it is a skid-lid or nothing...don't fear the reaper, we all gotta go sometime.

Then why you got a windshield?

skinman13 03-22-2014 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by ryda (Post 12471676)
Then why you got a windshield?

Fair question...and I was waiting for it...

I put on the windshield for freeway riding here in Houston and commuting in cold weather and rain...and it spends more time in my office closet than on the bike. The photo you see was taken at the Seawall in Galveston, and I took Interstate 45 south to get there. I-45 goes through downtown Houston and is one of the absolute worst freeway stretches in the country.

I originally got the full face for that purpose, and it works great, but I just could not get used to feeling confined in the full face. As much as I like the wind and bugs in my face, the rocks, nuts, bolts, and other stuff that get thrown up on our Houston freeways hurts like a bitch...so I put a windshield on...and, you should see that new windshield...there are more than a couple of deep dings in it from being hit by flying debris, and my skid-lid has a few deep hits on it as well.

I also like to use the toll-roads on occasion and that is where my EZ Tag is located...:D

SLV 03-22-2014 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by HD Bobber (Post 12467334)
I have the Icon Alliance with the dark shield and love it. Icon has awesome gear (have their gloves and vest).

Me too. Love everything about it except for the wind noise.

I just recently picked up an Arai Signet-Q and really love it.