Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Anyone heard of '06/'07 wheel bearing problems (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/957213-anyone-heard-of-06-07-wheel-bearing-problems.html)

wiscdyna 04-12-2014 07:49 PM

Anyone heard of '06/'07 wheel bearing problems

I had work done on my bike recently, and was told that my rear wheel bearings needed replacement. They said there was a labor issue with HD line workers back in '06/'07, and some workers didn't grease some bearings during assembly as a way to cause problems for HD.

This was my first time using this particular shop. The guys seemed like good guys to me, so I'm hoping this wheel bearing story is legit. Is it?

rustang 04-12-2014 08:21 PM

that sounds like complete bullshit.

harley does not make their wheel bearings in house.
there may be an issue with the bearings, but it's not disgruntled employees.
unless you've noticed an issue, i'd assume they're just fine.

Jeffs386 04-12-2014 09:24 PM

I have an 07 with original rear wheel bearings...no problems

fatmanontwowheels 04-12-2014 10:19 PM

The sealed bearings come lubed from the bearing manufacturer, not on the MOCO assembly line.

stilup 04-13-2014 05:24 AM

I know the 09's have junk wheel bearings, I replaced mine twice in the rear and once in the front.
Rule of thumb is every other tire change.
I use Timken now.
Should be good for awhile.
That 100 thousand mile stuff in far from the truth.

Dan89FLSTC 04-13-2014 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by wiscdyna (Post 12578870)
This was my first time using this particular shop. The guys seemed like good guys to me, so I'm hoping this wheel bearing story is legit. Is it?

They are telling you a BS story, they know that the bearings are greased sealed when they are manufactured (if they don`t know this, they are very new to the wrenching world).

Be wary of any thing they tell you in the future.

wiscdyna 04-13-2014 07:15 AM

Thanks guys. I'm sorry to hear that. I'm trying to find an alternative to using a dealership for work I can't do myself. Maybe these guys aren't it. If anyone knows of a good place west of Milwaukee, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

fatmanontwowheels 04-13-2014 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by wiscdyna (Post 12580439)
Thanks guys. I'm sorry to hear that. I'm trying to find an alternative to using a dealership for work I can't do myself. Maybe these guys aren't it. If anyone knows of a good place west of Milwaukee, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Just ask em straight up where they got that info about the bearings from. Could be interesting...

im 04-13-2014 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by wiscdyna (Post 12578870)
I had work done on my bike recently, and was told that my rear wheel bearings needed replacement. They said there was a labor issue with HD line workers back in '06/'07, and some workers didn't grease some bearings during assembly as a way to cause problems for HD.

How many miles on the bike/wheel?
Did you notice something before?
Reason: sometimes the individual performing a service call is just a parrot that talks without thinking.
I am aware from reading the forum that some individuals have experienced problems with sealed bearings.
The story might be partially incorrect but the bearing could have been bad.
For example: The bearing issue could have been with the workers in the supply line but after repeating the story several times it becomes HD.
OR they were just trying to pad the bill $50 that in reality nets them about $20 of labor.
Were you having a rear tire changed?

ebeattie 04-13-2014 11:51 AM

When it comes to HD oem wheel bearings, I have not had any issues with em .

However, that being said, on my '12 Fat Bob during my tire changeout, I had the harley dealer replace all of them with upgraded Nachi USA sealed bearings. Didn't want to take a chance as I have heard of enough of them going bad and trashing wheels that I simply wanted peace of mind.

Plus, idc if its harley oem or not. Made in China wheel bearings aren't my cup of tea.