Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   LED Mirrors, missing leds (again) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/964042-led-mirrors-missing-leds-again.html)

iDodgimus 05-05-2014 11:28 AM

LED Mirrors, missing leds (again)

I installed HD Led Mirrors on my Street Bob a couple years back and loved them, the mirrors were good and the sigs, although barely visible thru the day were awesome in the evening. About 2 years in, a couple of leds in the left one crapped out so I carefully pulled it apart and found the the led unit was sealed and not repairable so I put it back together and tried to ignore it.

As part of my bar swap this year I replaced the busted mirror (cheapest I could find was $111 from Kutter) and less than 3 days of riding later the right one is missing the same couple of leds that the left one was!!!

I've no idea what could have caused it, leds arent supposed to burn out are they? There's only power and ground wires so it's not like we could have gotten something wrong there, and surely a loose connection or shoddy ground would affect ALL the leds and not just a couple in the middle of the array?

These bars are do have a little more vibration but surely that couldn't have shaken something loose...

I'm super frustrated and trying to decide whether to drop another $110 on a(nother) replacement or forget that I just did that on the left and get some plain old fashioned just-mirrors mirrors :icon_warped:

I could always just ride with missing LEDs but c'mon, it looks like she's missing teeth!

JRK5892 05-05-2014 11:32 AM

typically LEDS that are not working is due to lack of power or poor connection, i would trace your power and ground wires back and just double check them

iDodgimus 05-05-2014 12:41 PM

thanks, i'll get on that... hopefully there's a poor connection outside of the mirror that I can sort out!

Originally Posted by JRK5892 (Post 12684273)
typically LEDS that are not working is due to lack of power or poor connection, i would trace your power and ground wires back and just double check them

Suede Blue Man 05-05-2014 12:49 PM

I just switched to Customs Dynamics, so when I was taking out the old bulbs there was an ample amount of dielectric grease on all bulb connections and was prepared to put a small dab of it when I installed the CD's--But CD in their instructions state that LED's do not work well with dielectric grease and it would be best not to use any.

I did not know that or if I did didn't remember so, maybe you knew this but just passing it on, maybe it's something to check.

iDodgimus 05-05-2014 02:16 PM

i didn't know that - i also didnt use any!

Warp Factor 05-05-2014 04:53 PM

In my experience, LED life is highly over-rated.
When normal bulbs fail, at least, you can pick 'em up almost anywhere.