Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kuryakyn "flush mount" gas cap and fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 10:32 PM
The Dali
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kuryakyn "flush mount" gas cap and fuel gauge

Hi, breaking this out from my "mods" thread to get greater visibility.

I decided to install a flush-mount gas cap. The one I bought was the Kuryakyn flush-mount from JP Cycles. So... it looks nice, was easy to install and should work fine (haven't ridden with it yet)... but I am concerned that it is not really "flush-mount"... two issues, really:

#1, it isn't "FLUSH" - it sits about 1/4" to 1/2" off the tank. I guess I wasn't expecting actually FLUSH, but it sticks up more than I expected.

#2, it actually doesn't sit fully against the tank all the way around the cap. In other words, the there are gaps on two sides... have any of you run into the same experience? It appears that the curvature of the tank prohibits from actually sitting against the metal... it makes sense.. metal doesn't bend, I get it... but I didn't expect it.. I took some pictures so you can see. If I go any farther down it will start digging into the paint on the two higher sides.

I wonder if I was doing something wrong on the install?

It looks really nice, and from a foot away you won't see anything, but I want to make sure I installed correctly before I tackle installing the matching fuel gauge.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:49 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I ran the Kury Informer and gas cap for quite a while. The gap is normal. After you have them for a while, you forget all about it.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:44 AM
JayOhh
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard only good Things about Kuryakyn, but after I got my Kuryakyn horn-cover, I'm probably not buying any more Products from them. Not happy about the craftmanship and finish.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:34 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like my Kuryakyn iso grips really well. The tank cap fits a little taller than I thought it would too, but it still looks nice.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:36 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

This is flush but not quite lol If I were you, I will get a Kury gas gauge to match.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:45 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I have my old kury informer and gas cap if anyone is interested.

I know...shameless plug...

Old 05-09-2014, 09:59 AM
The Dali
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Informer gauge that I am going to install tonight. I didn't want to install until I knew the gas cap was installed correctly.

Eric - I would have bought off you!

Last edited by The Dali; 05-09-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:50 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JayOhh
I've heard only good Things about Kuryakyn, but after I got my Kuryakyn horn-cover, I'm probably not buying any more Products from them. Not happy about the craftmanship and finish.
I bought a few Kury products early-on, but had the same experience. Since then though, I've seen footpegs and handgrips that were really nice. I guess it's hit or miss with them.

The gas cap looks nice, but I'd have the same questions about the fit. To be fair though, my HD flush mount cap sits a little off. Bathe fixed flange/ring part fits perfect, but the cap doesn't sit evenly in the hole. I have to wonder if HD tanks just have slightly different shapes.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:58 PM
jcrumpley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have those on my bike. The nice thing is that you can set the fuel gauge reserve warning where you want it. The leds do tend to bounce around a bit while riding, but it seems more accurate than the stock gauge.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:56 PM
spyderwebb
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just purchased and installed the Kuryaykn "Front axle nut cover" set, that I bought from Dennis Kirk, and I'm pleasantly surprised with fit, quality and reasonable price.

Attached Thumbnails Kuryakyn "flush mount" gas cap and fuel gauge-dsc01181b.jpg  

Quick Reply: Kuryakyn "flush mount" gas cap and fuel gauge