Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What paint would you choose for the chrome/plastic tail light back plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 11:05 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What paint would you choose for the chrome/plastic tail light back plate

I just decided I need to black out the fake chrome plastic back plate on my Dyna. I have a LED Black Tail Light Lens and just completed painting the fender Black as well.

I have 2 different choices in my paint cabinet.

I have some of the Rustoleum Black Appliance Epoxy, OR I have some Dupli Color Adhesion Promoter, Perfect Match Black, and Perfect Match Clear coat.
Which would you choose to paint this with? The humidity was too high to paint tonight so I thought I would take the opportunity to ask.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:13 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I hit mine with a scotch pad (red) cleaned the hell out of it and painted it with vht epoxy paint. It turned out really well IMO. It's been on for about 4 months, I ride everyday and wash often, and it still looks great. I know that's not a long term review but it's all I got.. Try the epoxy, those backplates are only like $20 if you mess it up beyond repair, I checked lol. Good luck man!

Last edited by monster715; 05-29-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:06 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by monster715
I hit mine with a scotch pad (red) cleaned the hell out of it and painted it with vht epoxy paint. It turned out really well IMO. It's been on for about 4 months, I ride everyday and wash often, and it still looks great. I know that's not a long term review but it's all I got.. Try the epoxy, those backplates are only like $20 if you mess it up beyond repair, I checked lol. Good luck man!
I already sanded mine so its just a matter of paint selection, but just for info purpose I looked up the backplate.

68066-99 BASE ASSEMBLY, CHROMED 1 46.55

Maybe I looked it up incorrectly, as it was much more than $20 bux when I checked on Ronnies. If you have that part number post it up please.

Do you have any pics I could see of the epoxy painted part? thank You

Last edited by parts eeter; 05-30-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:17 AM
AmmO224
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you remove the electrical plug housing from the assembly? Are there screws somewhere? I thought that was integrated into the plastic!

Old 05-30-2014, 05:52 AM
pab3rd
Club Member

Received 213 Likes on 147 Posts

A second on the vht epoxy...

Old 05-30-2014, 10:02 AM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts

Several paints would work, epoxy will do well Krylon for plastic will work also, but whatever you use you should use an adhesion promoter first (like Bulldog), it comes in an rattle can and really helps the longevity of whatever you use.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:04 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by AmmO224
How did you remove the electrical plug housing from the assembly? Are there screws somewhere? I thought that was integrated into the plastic!
It just pulls off by hand, at first I thought it was glued on but then I started looking more closely at it and it simply pulled off the back plate.

Originally Posted by pab3rd
A second on the vht epoxy...
It seems the Epoxy is the favored choice so far.

Humidity is still too high to paint so I am gonna have to wait still yet.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:09 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ndfastln
Several paints would work, epoxy will do well Krylon for plastic will work also, but whatever you use you should use an adhesion promoter first (like Bulldog), it comes in an rattle can and really helps the longevity of whatever you use.
I have the Dupli Color Adhesion Promoter already, which is similar to Bulldog. It says its good for plastic as well. I was hoping to hear opinions on using the adhesion promoter, topped with acyrilic laquer base coat, and acylic laquer clear coat as well.

I have had excellent results painting with the Dupli Color on other items ( chin spoilers, fenders, etc) , but I have never painted a fake chrome plastic part before ever....

Old 05-30-2014, 10:37 AM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts

You can treat the fake chrome like any other plastic and you shouldn't have any problems. I have painted many fake chrome parts on cars with a variety of different paints(of decent quality) and haven't had any problems as long as it was sanded and cleaned well and an adhesion promoter was used. Real chrome requires alot more prep but the fake chrome should be easy.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:56 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ndfastln
You can treat the fake chrome like any other plastic and you shouldn't have any problems. I have painted many fake chrome parts on cars with a variety of different paints(of decent quality) and haven't had any problems as long as it was sanded and cleaned well and an adhesion promoter was used. Real chrome requires alot more prep but the fake chrome should be easy.
Thats what I was wanting to hear. Painting the Fake Plastic Chrome is new to me. and I really like the results from the Dupli Color Paints I already have and wanted to use them.

Quick Reply: What paint would you choose for the chrome/plastic tail light back plate