Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fld extended and increased storage bags

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 07:29 AM
RUBI-VET
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fld extended and increased storage bags

OLDYS CUSTOM COMPOSITES and I have been discussing making a fully extended length bag for the FLD.
(http://www.badassglass.us/home.html)

I like many others are irritated about how small the FLD stock hard bags are and would like a bit more room. For some reason no one has approached any 'glass companies to ask them to make an extended bag for our FLD's to date.

Well last night I was talking with Gary from Oldy's about my personal interest in an extended length increased storage bag for the FLD. To make a long story short the reason they have not made an increased volume bag and only offered the extended look bag is a true extended bag would require FLD owners to use a short style exhaust that stops prior to the bags. I know from surfing the forums that A LOT of FLD guys have shorty pipes on their bikes.

I do not, HOWEVER I WILL SELL OFF THE V&H MONSTER DUALS FOR A SET OF SIDE SWEPT PIPES so I can fit the EXTENDED BAG's.

If we can get a group behind this to guarantee a minimum of 6 sales Gary informs me he is willing to make molds to suit our wants and needs. But the sales must be on the up and up or it will ruin our chances of getting what we've been after. I'm willing to put a down payment on this as a show of good faith pending final sale and inspection of the final product but as you can see his current bags are outstanding.

*****I want to make it very clear ....******

Gary has not asked for ANY money at all he only has stated that he would need 6 orders to make it a fruitful venture.

But what better way to show our interest in this to get the ball rolling.

Here is a link to his current products for the FLD which many of you have seen from Sticky4 being a guinea pig for Oldy's. If you have not seen his thread I have attached a like to the build and here are a few better photos than OLDY's website has of his scoot...

Basically the bags I have requested Gary to produce are the exact same dimensions as our current bags to utilize the hardware and lids BUT unlike the current OLDY's model they will have the extra 4" of useable room where the current bags are only for the look of a bagger only.

If your interested Gary relayed he needs a minimum of 6 orders to produce the bags and they will run $700 USD a pair which isn't bad considering that his current bag is $680.

Feel free to PM me reply to the post directly and or contact OLDYS directly.

Here is the link to the FLD section for the current bags.
http://www.badassglass.us/saddlebags...ckextbags.html
either way the rear 4" stretched fender will remain the same as pictured above on Sticky4's pictures.

This is how the bags come from Oldys a gel coat finish on the outside

again I'm borrowing Sticky4's photos from his thread https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ack-build.html

Old 06-03-2014, 08:15 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

I used to run a rear fender that I got off Old's about a year ago. It was great quality, just didn't fit the Dyna as I hoped it would. At the time Gary told me he was looking for people to test the setup that Sticky is currently using. Gary did a fantastic job on the bag extentions from what I have seen and would only suggest that if he gets what is need and makes this full length bags for the FLD, whomever purcahses them will be completely satified with the workmanship and quality of the product. I hope to start seeing these on the forum at some point.

Know if I could only come up with a nice bolt on mounting setup for the full size touring bags onto a Dyna, maybe I could get Gary to make a mold of the touring bag with the shock pocket for the Dyna incorperated and the stock touring shock pocket removed.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by blueangel73
I used to run a rear fender that I got off Old's about a year ago. It was great quality, just didn't fit the Dyna as I hoped it would. At the time Gary told me he was looking for people to test the setup that Sticky is currently using. Gary did a fantastic job on the bag extentions from what I have seen and would only suggest that if he gets what is need and makes this full length bags for the FLD, whomever purcahses them will be completely satified with the workmanship and quality of the product. I hope to start seeing these on the forum at some point.

Know if I could only come up with a nice bolt on mounting setup for the full size touring bags onto a Dyna, maybe I could get Gary to make a mold of the touring bag with the shock pocket for the Dyna incorperated and the stock touring shock pocket removed.
Sometime this year I plan on making one like you describe. The touring shock pocket can be removed, however there will have to be a notch there to clear the axle bolt/nut. I also want to move the bag back about 2"(from the way my bags are now) to be more flush with the rear fender, which means more the shock will be half covered by the bag and more room inside than I currently have in my modified bags. I plan to extend part of the front of the bag to wrap around the front of the shock and make it resemble an FLD oil tank cover, depending on how it looks/blends with the bike. I have lots going on this summer so it will prob be a Fall project.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Sticky4
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

From what I've seen fld guys don't do a lot of mods.

Too bad this wasn't around before I started.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:43 PM
RUBI-VET
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sticky4
From what I've seen fld guys don't do a lot of mods.

Too bad this wasn't around before I started.
I know what you mean but if it wasn't for you posting what you built no one would know that this existed. Hopefully we get somewhere with this. Doubt it but what's the harm in trying like you said FLD guys don't seem to do many mods. Other than bars and lights and maybe pipes. Hopefully this changes

Old 06-03-2014, 08:37 PM
Sticky4
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Now if I can own find someone who can make side covers to cover the shocks...

Old 06-04-2014, 05:52 AM
RUBI-VET
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sticky4
Now if I can own find someone who can make side covers to cover the shocks...
Like an extended battery box that flares out towards the bags like the Road King style aftermarket covers?

Old 06-04-2014, 06:25 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by RUBI-VET
Like an extended battery box that flares out towards the bags like the Road King style aftermarket covers?
This would be nice, there would have to be two styles. One for those that ride solo and one for those that two-up so the the passenger has some leg room to the peg. I would really like to see a modified fit for some rear passenger pegs coming off the frame, but that a whole different topic.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:31 PM
OkieJoe
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im game for a set...... Exactly what Ive been searching for

Old 08-19-2014, 09:34 PM
blackjackbaits
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im game

Count me in I want a real set of bags to slap on not just a stretched bag that does not have any additional storage space

Quick Reply: Fld extended and increased storage bags