Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Lever Angle

Old 07-21-2014, 12:17 PM
FrankNstein
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Lever Angle

So I did a slow motion lay down on the left side. Mirror and turn signal turned in without a scratch. I go to point them straight and notice the clutch lever seems to be tilted at an upward angle compared to the brake lever. Mount seems firm, not bent but may have rotated under weight. Custom bars and custom grips when I got it, did not look at or notice the angle before.
Is there a correct angle for levers, or is it personal choice/ergonomics?
E.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:22 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankNstein
So I did a slow motion lay down on the left side. Mirror and turn signal turned in without a scratch. I go to point them straight and notice the clutch lever seems to be tilted at an upward angle compared to the brake lever. Mount seems firm, not bent but may have rotated under weight. Custom bars and custom grips when I got it, did not look at or notice the angle before.
Is there a correct angle for levers, or is it personal choice/ergonomics?
E.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:38 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

The best angle is the one that works for you.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:04 PM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer

I have read that if you rest your hands on the grips with your arms straight and your fingers straight out...your fingers should be touching the top of the clutch leaver! Same goes for the brake! I have done it that way for many years! That's what works for me anyway!

Old 07-21-2014, 06:24 PM
fogline
Cruiser

I don't know if this is relevant, but I was a bicycle mechanic and the angle of the levers is considered very important. I have done many extended self-contained tours and am convinced that "ergonomics" is not hogwash especially if you are pulling long miles.

Conventional Bicycle Wisdom:
Get into your typical riding position on your bike. Put your finger on your brake (or clutch) lever. Move the lever up or down so that your extended finger is in a straight line with your arm, with the lever blade just touching under your finger. Don’t put the lever any lower than this.
Adjust them so that the lever more or less falls in line with the angle of your arms from your torso as you sit on the bike in your normal riding position, to prevent strain on your wrists.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:44 AM
FrankNstein
Novice

Thanks guys, you are all spot on. Brake lever is straight out and feels good. I often ride with one or two fingers resting on the front brake lever, carry over from my sport bike days. I will adjust clutch lever to match.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:58 PM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=Id.Fat Bob;13014056]I have read that if you rest your hands on the grips with your arms straight and your fingers straight out...your fingers should be touching the top of the clutch leaver! Same goes for the brake! I have done it that way for many years! That's what works for me anyway
+2