Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide glide or Road King

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:08 AM
glidehard
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wide glide or Road King

I currently own a 2006 Wide Glide. A 2004 Road King Classic fuel injected with about 10,000 less miles just came in to town with a sweet deal, and I am wondering if I would ever regret going down two years. The big question is will I miss 6th gear? Will I miss how light the wide glide is compared to the Road king?

Old 07-22-2014, 10:16 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,512 Likes on 1,301 Posts

It will change the way you ride. The reason to go from a Dyna to a touring frame is because you are going to start spending days on the road. I figure you need to answer for yourself what kind of riding you are going to be doing, then you will have your own answer.

Once you have that answer, then whether it is 5 speed or 6 speed will matter less.

I have a sporty and a Road King. If I had one, I'd have the Road King as I like to spend long weekends, several weeks, or overnight o the road. But to run errands, even commute when I do not need my cage, I use the sporty. If I did not have a sporty, my second bike would be a dyna.

But the answer is in "How are you going to ride" and not which bike is better.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:36 AM
glidehard
Stage IV

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
It will change the way you ride. The reason to go from a Dyna to a touring frame is because you are going to start spending days on the road. I figure you need to answer for yourself what kind of riding you are going to be doing, then you will have your own answer.

Once you have that answer, then whether it is 5 speed or 6 speed will matter less.

I have a sporty and a Road King. If I had one, I'd have the Road King as I like to spend long weekends, several weeks, or overnight o the road. But to run errands, even commute when I do not need my cage, I use the sporty. If I did not have a sporty, my second bike would be a dyna.

But the answer is in "How are you going to ride" and not which bike is better.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. The answer to the question is both. I would ride it to work everyday, along with long weekends and long trips, I use the term long trips as something like 450-600 miles. The wide glide after about 12 hours on her I feel like im a little over worked and my wife is cursing at me after about 8 hours I want something that will work both for my cageless commutes along with the long rides.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:54 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by glidehard
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. The answer to the question is both. I would ride it to work everyday, along with long weekends and long trips, I use the term long trips as something like 450-600 miles. The wide glide after about 12 hours on her I feel like im a little over worked and my wife is cursing at me after about 8 hours I want something that will work both for my cageless commutes along with the long rides.
I'd be wore out in 12 hours riding in the back seat of a Cadillac. Sounds like your doing good already. With a road king you could ride 2 days and never stop as conditioned as you are.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:30 PM
glidehard
Stage IV

Originally Posted by JohnnyRebKY
I'd be wore out in 12 hours riding in the back seat of a Cadillac. Sounds like your doing good already. With a road king you could ride 2 days and never stop as conditioned as you are.

Haha, thanks, I think.

So I went to check out this Road King up close and personal, and wow the photos were not reality! Thanks for the help and I guess my Wide Glide has lived to see another day. Must be a sign.