Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Fairing or Not to Fairing that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:40 AM
Juggerpops
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To Fairing or Not to Fairing that is the question

Just got my new 14 FXDB last week, and I am making the wish list. I have already ordered the Burley Slammer Kit in black. I am considering a quarter fairing but I am curious about the positives & negatives of riding with one. Are there benefits or is it just a look ?

Old 07-24-2014, 09:53 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quarter fairings are more of a look but do block A LITTLE of the wind blast at speed. After fly screens, quarter fairing and windsheilds I've kinda come to the conclusion that anything 12" or less is more show than true deflection and it takes about 16" plus for me to make cruising at 85 comfortable.

A Rifle is on my short list for my Dyna. I may order both the cool looking bubble sheild and the 17" sheild. They are only $85 for another screen. The rifle seems like the best overall deal at everyone's $300 price point.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:57 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, they work. I can cruise all day long at ludicrous speed with very little effort.

Lots of guys will tell you they're just for looks and don't do anything, but take a look at their sig pics before you consider their opinions.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:05 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bentwrench
Quarter fairings are more of a look but do block A LITTLE of the wind blast at speed. After fly screens, quarter fairing and windsheilds I've kinda come to the conclusion that anything 12" or less is more show than true deflection and it takes about 16" plus for me to make cruising at 85 comfortable.

A Rifle is on my short list for my Dyna. I may order both the cool looking bubble sheild and the 17" sheild. They are only $85 for another screen. The rifle seems like the best overall deal at everyone's $300 price point.
Taller shields = buffeting for me.

Lower quarter fairings take the blast off my chest, but keep the wind in my face without buffeting.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:06 AM
mikeg212001
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SquidHead
Yes, they work. I can cruise all day long at ludicrous speed with very little effort.

Lots of guys will tell you they're just for looks and don't do anything, but take a look at their sig pics before you consider their opinions.
Im with Squid on this one..without the fairing anything over 65, it felt like it was a fight to hang on. With my quarter fairing, I've pegged the speedo, and felt very comfortable at high speed. My vote is do it!

Old 07-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Juggerpops
Tourer

any recommendations, quality ease of install etc.

looking at the Arlen Ness direct bolt on.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:01 AM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I love my quarter fairing..alot more comfortable than the windshield...

Old 07-24-2014, 11:06 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Many feel bigger is better but it is not always right.
I use slip stream wind screens which is really small but very rewarding as for comfort. I have no buffeting at all. I do get wind but no buffeting at all. I would think the quarter fairing would do the same thing. I have thought about a quarter fairing more than once for my super glide. Less restrictive than full windshields. Less drag.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:12 AM
iDodgimus
Road Master

i'm in the non-fairing camp... i tried it and it didn't work out for me but you might have better luck.

i ride with a 3/4 helmet and the wind moved off my chest and right to my face - which is what a lot of people want but i can handle it on my chest, it's quieter and doesn't make my head wobble! i tried a full face and that helped a lot but if i cracked open the visor, even just a little, the noise was awful (wubwubwubwubwubwubwub)

without the fairing i can happily sustain 120km/h (80mph) for a while and have put down a number of 500-600 mile days.

they're not cheap and take a bit of fiddling to get it right, unless you're stoked on the style i'd say throw down a season without it and see how it feels

Old 07-24-2014, 11:21 AM
dudshep31
Road Captain

As already stated, they definitely work. The only downside is you may have to play with it to keep buffeting down. Like squid, I went to a smaller shield on my replica t-sport fairing and it was way better than the larger shield-FOR ME. Everyone is different and what works for some may not work for others.

Quick Reply: To Fairing or Not to Fairing that is the question