Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS...are you there?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 02:42 PM
RustyCage
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ABS...are you there?

Just wondering if the anti-lock brakes work the same as in cars?...I assume they do...prevent the tire from locking up...

Just wondering, because some sh*thead decided to cut me off on the interstate this morning, going about 70mph. Then proceeds to slam on his brakes due to traffic, which in turn causes me to try to slow down safely. Well, the rear wheel locked up and went a bit squirrelly...*** pucker moment, lol. Anyways, traffic moved and no damage done. I'm talking about the rear brake, bty.

Just curious...first scoot I've owned that has ABS.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:31 PM
Lifeofchaos13
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great question from what I know the ABS is supposed to work exactly like on a car and stop the tire from locking up. If yours didn't work correctly may need to have the dealer take a look at it, make sure you got what you paid for.

Glad to hear you pulled it off btw, keep the rubber side down.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:04 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've ridden a couple of Harleys with ABS and I didn't find it very effective at preventing the wheels locking up. I even tried to get it kick in while braking on loose gravel in a pub car park (a bar parking lot to my colonial cousins) but with no luck.

What it does seem to do though is share the braking. By which I mean that when you apply just the front brake, the rear gets some pressure too. Same the other way around. Maybe that's all it does?

Old 07-25-2014, 07:14 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxster
What it does seem to do though is share the braking. By which I mean that when you apply just the front brake, the rear gets some pressure too. Same the other way around. Maybe that's all it does?
linked braking is not ABS. if the brakes are still locking up go see the dealer.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:55 PM
06Sporty75
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they say the front wheel is the one you don't want to lock-up, personally I don't like ABS, it increases your stopping distance, believe it or not you can stop much faster with your wheels lock up,, I'd much rather go down in a skid than run into the back of a car. I do believe abs causes many more accidents than it prevents. think of how many accidents are rear end collisions vs. losing control because of braking. personally I think there is an agenda to push ABS, the ambulance chasing lawyers just love it, the more accidents the more money they make.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:59 PM
Michael knowles
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a panic situation you might of pumped the brakes vs a steady pressure. I had one near miss and was glad I had abs. Your bike came with a cd disc explaining abs brakes.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:15 PM
Michael knowles
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thought, are you cleaning the rotors and pads frequently?

Old 07-26-2014, 12:09 AM
RustyCage
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, after spending the afternoon/evening on a ride, I figured I would try to lock the rear wheel up. I got it the abs to "kick in" as it would in a car, with even pressure on the pedal. Like it was mentioned above, if it would skid and I'd pump the brake, it continued to stay locked. Maybe in my brief moment of panic, that's what I did.

Personally I could've gone without that option, but the Dyna I wanted had the add on.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:32 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

It's a fine line between locking and not locking that rear tire up without ABS. I continue to practice panic stopping and it is a useful tool in knowing how my bike is going to respond. Personally, having ridden a tested a SE Road King that had ABS I like it.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:42 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I have ABS and occasionally test the rear wheel. I can't ever get that thing to lock up.

Take it to the dealer.

Quick Reply: ABS...are you there?