Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Day 4 - what is the key shaped red light beside the odo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 09:59 PM
07_Dyna
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Day 4 - what is the key shaped red light beside the odo?

Ordinarily, I would have put the bike on the center stand and checked the steering adjustment as a matter of course, when getting a new (to me) bike ready. But this bike does not have a center stand...

My bike was a bargain - a repo, from Az. She runs great! All the important stuff is working well.

I changed the fluids this AM. I used Valvoline racing oil - the best dino oil I could get here, locally, in 20w50. I put teflon in the motor and the trans. She just loves it! I use greased lightning teflon treatment. I've put it in LOTS of motors and standard transmissions. Not to worry - I'm absolutely certain it won't hurt a Harley 'cause I've put it in 3 or 4 of them, over the years.

I'm 64. I don't race the bike. I'm getting about 53 miles/gallon. I use gas without alcohol. Everybody tells me, hey! Nice Bike! So now I'm a superstar... Gonna have to hire an agent!

I put a silverstar bulb in the headlight but I'm gonna get another, complete light. That little guy tries hard, but...

That brings up another question - how does the charging system work? If the alternator runs full blast and it wastes excess power a LED headlight would make things worse, by using less power and pushing the difference onto the zener. If it works like a car and makes only the power it needs a LED headlight would be good?

It seems the ignition lock and the steering lock pin have been roughed up. I soaked the ignition switch with penetrating oil. I have yet to get the key into the very last position for the lock. I don't understand all the different places where the key can be removed (I have no owner's manual). Yeah, I know, the dealer will sell me one.

There is a red light in the speedo, directly to the right of the odometer, in the shape of a key. Starting today it comes on with the key then goes out, usually before I can start the motor. Would someone tell me what it is, please?

Does the steering commonly need adjustment? It might be the pin for the steering lock does not go into the hole because the steering is in need of adjustment? Or it might be because it was forced, during the repo. The bike rides great and shows no signs of needing the steering head adjusted.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by 07_Dyna; 07-25-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:19 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Go here and create a login.
https://www.harley-davidson.com/cont...rs-manual.html
Enter your bike info and view your owners manual for FREEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-25-2014, 10:33 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

Post a pic of that bike soon as you can!

Old 07-25-2014, 10:47 PM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

That is the security system light and when arming or disarming goes on and off. I think it could be for a diagnostic error code is being thrown if you do not have alarm system

Old 07-25-2014, 11:06 PM
07_Dyna
Cruiser

Originally Posted by slyedog
Go here and create a login.
https://www.harley-davidson.com/cont...rs-manual.html
Enter your bike info and view your owners manual for FREEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey - thanks. That answered a lot of questions. I knew they didn't want the transmission oil changed every 5,000 miles

Old 07-26-2014, 06:34 AM
07_Dyna
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
Post a pic of that bike soon as you can!
I'm sorry but I think you guys would be disappointed. It's box-stock right now. Someone put some el-cheapo slip on mufflers on it. The motor is silver. The primary cover is not chromed.

Lots of pplz on Harleys are, obviously, torbo rich. Not me. I've never seen the day when I could afford to ride $25,000 down the street.

Still, I plan to make the bike mine. I have no idea, at this point, what that will be or look like. She doesn't need any more power - she runs just fine. I've seen horsepower figures all over the place. This one runs strong. I will receive irridium plugs for her today. I still need to order pug wires.

Which of the online Harley (oem) parts places has the best prices?