Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk tensioners!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 12:10 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Let's talk tensioners!

I am ditching the stock auto tensioner and to be honest I am a bit lost on what way to go. The Hayden M6 is what I am leaning towards. I can get this for around $100. Only neg is it auto tensions still. The se manual tensioner I have heard is just insane noisy and still has a good amount of slap but good for (100+hp) builds. $150 area on price... Then we have the baker manual, heard great things but also $200! Bit steep for a tensioner... What are ya'lls view on this topic and what are you running. The stock auto tensioner is horrible!

Old 07-30-2014, 12:26 PM
californiafatbob2013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tensioner ??????????????

Originally Posted by JRK5892
I am ditching the stock auto tensioner and to be honest I am a bit lost on what way to go. The Hayden M6 is what I am leaning towards. I can get this for around $100. Only neg is it auto tensions still. The se manual tensioner I have heard is just insane noisy and still has a good amount of slap but good for (100+hp) builds. $150 area on price... Then we have the baker manual, heard great things but also $200! Bit steep for a tensioner... What are ya'lls view on this topic and what are you running. The stock auto tensioner is horrible!
I just got done reading HDpilots thread on Two Primary Side upgrades to my Fatbob.........

I have got to say that the Baker Pn # 177-67k is the way I will end up going.... I will wait for Dark Horse to put their compensator out to the public and do all work at the same time.......

The only down side is that it will need to be checked every 5,000 mile's, which may not even be that bad...........

You can purchase these thru Amazon for $169.00 w/free shipping........ Thats is a better price than anywhere else I have found.

Seem's for the little bit of reading I have done, is the stock tensioner is bad news for the long haul..........

So I am already lining up the purchase of the Baker system...........

Live Free = Ride Free..........

Old 07-30-2014, 12:34 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I replaced my stock tensioner with a M6 2 weeks ago, my clicking sound at higher rpm actually went away. I think the stock one was getting too tight at some points. The m6 also make shifting smoother, I used to miss a shift once in a while but not anymore. However the M6 does make a whining sound at idle, it doesn't bother me at all. I am more than happy I did, pleased with the product.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:46 PM
californiafatbob2013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BDL Compensator ??????

Originally Posted by 128auto
I replaced my stock tensioner with a M6 2 weeks ago, my clicking sound at higher rpm actually went away. I think the stock one was getting too tight at some points. The m6 also make shifting smoother, I used to miss a shift once in a while but not anymore. However the M6 does make a whining sound at idle, it doesn't bother me at all. I am more than happy I did, pleased with the product.
Sorry in advance, not trying to hijack this thread.......... Just a quick question.

Aside from the tensioner question, how do you like the BDL CS-34A compensator is this one set up to oil better than the stock issued comp ?

Do you still have your extra for sale ?????

Live Free = Ride Free.............

Old 07-30-2014, 12:59 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

Yes, it is quiet. I don't feel any difference compared to stock compensator. The BDL compensator is a better design, it has dampening capability. There is a touring guy with a screaming eagle 120 motor, been using a BDL comp for over 8000miles, no problem whatsoever. Highly recommended! I want a trouble free Harley lol

Yes, I do have an extra BDL CS-34A for sale, ordered for a friend's bike and he totalled it lol.

Originally Posted by californiafatbob2013
Sorry in advance, not trying to hijack this thread.......... Just a quick question.

Aside from the tensioner question, how do you like the BDL CS-34A compensator is this one set up to oil better than the stock issued comp ? PM ME OK

Do you still have your extra for sale ?????

Live Free = Ride Free.............

Old 07-30-2014, 01:45 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Hayden M6 but am unsure if I will use it. I don't want a too tight chain. I've been considering the Baker, but like Joe $200 is a lot for a tensioner.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:54 PM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JRK5892
Just installed the SE tensioner in my FB! Adjusted it to 5/8" slack and put in 1qt. of BEL-RAY! It was louder but not much! Took it out to test and found it louder there too...but not much! I was really impressed with how much quieter the shifts were tho! Looks like everything's a trade off! It got quieter as the engine warmed up! Put it back on the lift and installed the Vibra-Technics front motor mount...but that's another story! Oh, BTW...the stock unit was spot on and was not tight at all! Could move the slack a springy 3/8"!

Last edited by Id.Fat Bob; 07-30-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:10 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Hayden here Joe. .if anything i might go back to the stock auto tensioner. It's not as bad as some say if you have the later version, not sure what came on your bike.

Some w/ Hayden don't get much slack, mine was better than most after install. So far it has been trouble free (~2,500mi).

Old 07-30-2014, 02:11 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

FYI The M6 tensioner will not get tighter than the stock one way ratcheting system.

Originally Posted by Black Bart
I have the Hayden M6 but am unsure if I will use it. I don't want a too tight chain. I've been considering the Baker, but like Joe $200 is a lot for a tensioner.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:15 PM
Strobe
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tried the M6 with the new 2014 compensator this year. Just happened to install both at the same time. Checked multiple times for the next 1000 miles and then took it out because my chain was just way too tight. It made some racket in the primary at times.
Will sell for cheap !
The M6 has been working for some just fine.

Went back to the stock tensioner. Chain tension is fine at this point. Not super tight as some have experienced. I'll weld the stock one if needed.

Can't use the Baker because of the Compsaver oil tray I have installed.

Last edited by Strobe; 07-30-2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Added comment

Quick Reply: Let's talk tensioners!