Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Dyna Low Rider w/ Power Vision and Autotune (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/988073-dyna-low-rider-w-power-vision-and-autotune.html)

ghoticov 07-30-2014 06:49 PM

Dyna Low Rider w/ Power Vision and Autotune

I got my Power Vision yesterday. It came with a map on it titled "D-2010-TD-CL.pvt". I assumed that was the map that Fuel Moto loaded on the PV. I loaded the map and the bike seemed to run well.

Today, I did 3 Autotune sessions. I built off each previous Autotune so the last one is what is below.

Can someone explain how these tables look? lol I am obviously still learning all this and it is greek to me at the moment. I loaded the last auto tune session into the WIN PV software and these are the two table that are under "Spark Advance"...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...pse1d10c29.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ps0d9539cd.jpg

It seems that the bike is running hotter than my Softail Custom did, although its hard to tell because I do not have an oil temp gauge. The "Engine Tempature" on the PV said 293/205 when I pulled in the garage and I haven't actually ridden the bike since I loaded the last Auto Tune Session (because I was home) but the results below are from "Autotune Results 003.0".

Thoughts? ANY help is appreciated. :)

mallder 07-30-2014 08:21 PM

I have an 88 ci Dyna twinky with a power vision and autotune.

Comparing your timing graph to mine I see a few differences but mostly it is very similar. Your timing in the low Rpm/high map area is more retarded than mine but this is an area of the map that isnt used much.

Keep in mind. The Auto tune doesnt tune the spark timing map. Auto tune will adjust the Volumetric efficiency tables. The VE tables determine how much fuel is delivered to the cylinder under a given load/RPM and desired fuel air ratio.

When in an auto tune session the power vision will attempt to run the engine at a 13 to 1 AFR for the duration of the session. It looks at the wide band O2 sensors and makes fueling corrections to achieve the 13 to 1 AFR during your sessions. Since it knows how much fuel was delivered for a given condition it now also knows how much air was passing through the cylinder. It uses this data to establish the VE table. This is the data you store at the end of an autotune session.

This process allows the computer to get an accurate picture of the airflow characteristics of the engine. Once that is established the user can then tell the computer what AFR should be used for a given load condition.

Deciding what the AFR should be is where a good tuner can make money.

The AFR table is as big as the VE table. Generally max power will be at an AFR around 12.5 to 1, but best fuel economy might be at 15 to 1. This is where a good guy with a dyno is important.

mirrmu 07-30-2014 08:37 PM

hi,

good discussion and would be great to have PV sticky in the dyna section

thanks
mirrmu

mallder 07-30-2014 08:52 PM

Another note.

Since you got the PV from fuel moto I wouldn't mess with the timing much. The supplied spark tune is probably going to be good. In fact, the VE tune is probably pretty good also.

For me, Fuel motos supplied tune was difficult to improve upon.

ghoticov 07-30-2014 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by mallder (Post 13049044)
Another note.

Since you got the PV from fuel moto I wouldn't mess with the timing much. The supplied spark tune is probably going to be good. In fact, the VE tune is probably pretty good also.

For me, Fuel motos supplied tune was difficult to improve upon.

So would it be best to go back and flash the tune that came on it from Fuel Moto? Or do you think my 3 autotune sessions were worth doing?

slozomby 07-31-2014 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by ghoticov (Post 13049542)
So would it be best to go back and flash the tune that came on it from Fuel Moto? Or do you think my 3 autotune sessions were worth doing?

set up a recording log. send the log and the autotuning map to fuel moto and let them make any adjustments. thats one of the benefits of buying from them.

mallder 07-31-2014 04:34 AM

You could send a log to fuel moto if you want but it probably isnt needed. Its hard to mess up an auto tune.

The tune that Fuel Moto had you start with is probably pretty good but it might need some improving. When you ordered the PV from them you gave them some info about your bike. Fuel Moto tunes a bunch of bikes. If your bike matches a bike that they have tuned in the past then thier supplied tune is going to be hard to improve on. (but performing an auto tune session wont hurt it, it just wont be making any changes). If your bike doesnt match one they have tuned in the past then performing Auto tune should improve your tables.

i would auto tune the Fuel moto supplied tune (save thier tune ,so you can go back if needed). As your riding in autotune pull up the Correction factor screen and you will see how big or small the changes are going to be. This will tell you how close you are to optimal VE data. try to hit as many places on the graph as possible.

twincambill 07-31-2014 09:53 AM

This is a timely thread...I too have a 2008 dyna low rider with just installed screaming eagle shorty slip-ons and the heavy breather air cleaner. I received the pv-1 from fuel moto with a custom tune to my mods. When flashing it indicated that it was for a fat bob. The bike really runs strong and throttle response is instantaneous. I do have some decel popping...at first seemed to be about what I had as stock setup...maybe a little more as I get more time on setup. I basically am very pleased with the butt dyno added power...just the popping is louder. I was concerned till I read a thread that with my freer flow pipes that this might be normal...and the restrictive stock mufflers masked some of the pops. Of course if things could be improved on with the auto tune that would be good...but I really would not want to make things worse since I really would not know what I would be doing. I am really pleased with the setup so far. I don't know if it does run cooler yet.

ghoticov 07-31-2014 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by mallder (Post 13049759)
You could send a log to fuel moto if you want but it probably isnt needed. Its hard to mess up an auto tune.

The tune that Fuel Moto had you start with is probably pretty good but it might need some improving. When you ordered the PV from them you gave them some info about your bike. Fuel Moto tunes a bunch of bikes. If your bike matches a bike that they have tuned in the past then thier supplied tune is going to be hard to improve on. (but performing an auto tune session wont hurt it, it just wont be making any changes). If your bike doesnt match one they have tuned in the past then performing Auto tune should improve your tables.

i would auto tune the Fuel moto supplied tune (save thier tune ,so you can go back if needed). As your riding in autotune pull up the Correction factor screen and you will see how big or small the changes are going to be. This will tell you how close you are to optimal VE data. try to hit as many places on the graph as possible.

Gotcha. I did read something about when you see chenges in autotune is less than 5% then you are done. My next question is where in the world do I see the correftion factor screen?

I have a typical stage 1 with big sucker and v & h short shots so my guess is the tune was probably very close being thats a popular set up.

ghoticov 07-31-2014 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by twincambill (Post 13050649)
This is a timely thread...I too have a 2008 dyna low rider with just installed screaming eagle shorty slip-ons and the heavy breather air cleaner. I received the pv-1 from fuel moto with a custom tune to my mods. When flashing it indicated that it was for a fat bob. The bike really runs strong and throttle response is instantaneous. I do have some decel popping...at first seemed to be about what I had as stock setup...maybe a little more as I get more time on setup. I basically am very pleased with the butt dyno added power...just the popping is louder. I was concerned till I read a thread that with my freer flow pipes that this might be normal...and the restrictive stock mufflers masked some of the pops. Of course if things could be improved on with the auto tune that would be good...but I really would not want to make things worse since I really would not know what I would be doing. I am really pleased with the setup so far. I don't know if it does run cooler yet.

I do know one of the advantages with the PV is the old tune is still there so if you run 3 autotune sessions and you still dont like the resukts, you could always go back and flash the orginal tune again and be right back to where you started.

Thats why I went ahewd and did thr autotune sessione, I knew I could always go back.

My tune also was labeled for a fatbob. Who cares as long as it runs good. :) what was your tuned called?