Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thug No More - A Short Story of Outlawz... Wild1 Chubby Outlawz that is

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 01:07 PM
iDodgimus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thug No More - A Short Story of Outlawz... Wild1 Chubby Outlawz that is

Much like everyone else here, not content with buying a bike and riding it, the boring days of early spring are usually filled with reading about mods and relentlessly typing my password into PayPal. Here's a little of my bike's journey this season...

As of last year, I was really happy with my Bob, we'd put in many miles together but I often found myself drooling over the thug thread, there's a lot of new Harley's popping up around here that are club-by-numbers so I tried to avoid it but the style really appealed as did the promise of better handling, easier travels etc etc

So after a long and expensive spring, parts started to arrive and Toothless went from this...

to this...

My initial excitement kinda turned to regret as the bars freaked me out at first, such a big difference but I promised to give it some time and adapted my riding position and style. I loved how it looked, like REALLY loved it but oddly enough I felt disconnected, that I wanted to look at it more than ride it. That wasn't helped by the fact that I experienced a lot buffetting - I tried a full face but that wasnt the experience that i was used to, or wanted... All in all, I couldn't shake the feeling that it was no longer MY bike, I was stoked that I built a kickass club-style dyna but as it turned out, it wasn't actually what I wanted... The style is great, and I still drool over them but my bike, MY bike, isn't one of them. My buddy nailed it when he said that it was just too aggressive looking, that I'm not an aggressive guy and even when riding big, gnarly lines on my snowboard, I'm loose and relaxed!

I searched for a few days and settled on 12" Wild1 Chubby Outlawz (W0612B), luckily I managed to bluff a local dealer into a test ride of a Superglide outfitted with the chrome ones (the stock bike wasn't great but the bars felt right) so I knew they'd be good... I bought them from Direct Cycle parts for under $200 and was really impressed when they showed up. They were heavy and the black powder was impeccable. The holes for internal wiring were finished far better than the WCT, much smoother and tapered towards the opening, made for a really easy install.

I can't recommend these bars enough - way stiffer and more responsive than stock and a wrist angle closer to (but not quite as flat as) tbars. Best of both worlds really, they can perform aggressively while looking, and feeling laid back! All in all, I'm over the moon, she looks like my bike again and feels great - stable, relaxed, easy to manoeuvre and all the good stuff that comes with that. Now I'm really looking forward to putting a couple thousand miles on her throughout August as I ride through Washington, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming

Old 07-31-2014, 01:22 PM
darkhdshadow
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great choice! I have the same ones.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:30 PM
cthagreekgod
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I have 14" outlawz and echo your sentiments. Love them. Super solid, and bad ***, but comfy and laid back.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:33 PM
Paul On The Run
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't have a dyna but I do have them on my road glide. They are some great bars. good looking bike btw.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:09 PM
tfalcon
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bike looks great!

I've been thinking about these bars too but in the 14" version, but in some pics they look really wide...like almost too wide. I dunno if its cause of the hard bends or if their just not that wide in the center making the area from the grip to first bend seem alot longer. I dunno...I really wish I could see some in person. Also wish they had slightly less pull back.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:54 AM
iDodgimus
Road Master

Thanks all, appreciate it!!!

tfalcon, they do look wide sometimes eh? I don't think they're much wider (if at all) than the mini apes but the geometry does play tricks - most apes slope out from the riser area so the grip end isn't so long. I find the pull-back is pretty mellow, but I do have them cracked forward just a touch...

Old 08-01-2014, 01:05 PM
Juggerpops
Tourer

want to sell the fairing?

Old 08-01-2014, 01:14 PM
iDodgimus
Road Master

already did!
Originally Posted by Juggerpops
want to sell the fairing?

Old 08-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Hero
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bike looks awesome, you settled at a nice point. Sometimes we just have to experiment to find out what's really important & get the gear envy out of our system. It should definitely be ridden and not just looked at!

Last edited by Hero; 08-01-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:18 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree... the Outlawz are GREAT bars. I liked them so much after having them on my Softail, I then put them on my Low Rider.

Quick Reply: Thug No More - A Short Story of Outlawz... Wild1 Chubby Outlawz that is