Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't Get Pinch Bolts Out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 01:57 PM
Jackpoticorn
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Can't Get Pinch Bolts Out!!!

ARGHHHHHH ok trying to remove the pinch bolts from the top of the triple tree to mount my Drag Specialties turn signal relocation mounts and I can't get the bolts to budge. 2005 Dyna, the bolts have probably never been removed. They are the factory torx head bolts and when I tried to get them out, my torx driver started slipping and stripping the inside of the bolt heads. This happened on both sides. Considering going out and getting a torque wrench but this still wouldn't solve my problem of the torx driver slipping in the head.

Suggestions? Feeling pretty dumb that I can't even mount some damn turn signals because of seized bolts...

Old 07-31-2014, 02:03 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Are you positive the torx is correct ? If so, take an impact to it and then replace bolts. Someone probably put loctite on them. Heat if you can control it and not screw up the chrome. On the cheap, get you a reverse mallet impact tool from Harbour Freight

Old 07-31-2014, 03:00 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Are you positive the torx is correct ? If so, take an impact to it and then replace bolts. Someone probably put loctite on them. Heat if you can control it and not screw up the chrome. On the cheap, get you a reverse mallet impact tool from Harbour Freight
Wise words, if you have the exact size torx those bolts should not strip. Be careful with impact those tripple tree clamps are aluminum and surprisingly easy to crack!

Old 07-31-2014, 03:19 PM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep...definitely sounds like you are using the wrong size bit metric vs SAE or something.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:33 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,307 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Put some penetrating oil on it overnight and use an impact wrench, don't go hog wild on the impact maybe a couple of bursts. Close to a dealer? Get new ones to replace the now bad ones, or does the kit include new ones? Could try a hair dryer heat to expand the tree to help loosen the bolt, just an idea.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:37 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

PB blast them or take a punch put it in the middle of the bolt and SMACK it with a hammer this will stretch and break loose the loc tite, from here you can cut a strait line in the bolt with a dremil and use a flat head screw driver, you can also heat it up to let it move a bit easier if it is not powder coated

Old 07-31-2014, 03:43 PM
iDodgimus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a torque wrench won't help you get anything out, they're for putting bolts in!

Originally Posted by Jackpoticorn
Considering going out and getting a torque wrench but this still wouldn't solve my problem of the torx driver slipping in the head.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:07 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

you will need it though sounds like the last person did not have one

Old 08-01-2014, 12:05 PM
davidsson
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I did the same

When I was doing my forks I was using a T 40 that I thought fit when it actually needs a t 45. (IIRC I'd have to double check now) 3 came out fine but one stripped on me. The steel bolts and aluminum clamps don't like each other. I had to take a t50 and pound it in deep and then very carefully apply pressure until it broke loose. I even managed to snap off an EZ out on that thing. Good luck.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Hero
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidsson
I even managed to snap off an EZ out on that thing. Good luck.
EZ out is a misnomer in my opinion I've attempted several extractions during my time on the bench and snapped them every single time haha. I'd love to hear some happy ending stories about them if anyone has.

To the OP, I'm not sure the screwdriver idea will work, maybe on a much smaller bolt it can. As a very last resort you can have an engineering shop weld a new head or steel lever onto it - there is always a solution, some just much less convenient than others. Sucks that it should have been such a simple job though. Good luck and let us know how it plays out.

Last edited by Hero; 08-01-2014 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Can't Get Pinch Bolts Out!!!