Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decel/upshifting exhaust pop...

Old 08-07-2014, 02:58 PM
RustyCage
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Decel/upshifting exhaust pop...

Beatin a dead horse here, but can anybody offer any insight on these damn pops. All I have is a set of slip ons, no other mods that would effect air/fuel mixture. I'm getting pops on decel, and shifting from 1-2-3.

Took the bike to the dealer who said it was normal, but they could tune it out...for a pretty penny of course. But I've had friends that've paid to have it done, and they still get some popping on decel. I guess if it's "normal", than it's more of an annoyance. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the normal "gurgling" when you let of the throttle, it's distinct popping.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

On decel, compression in the cylinder can be so low (below atmospheric pressure) that the mixture doesn't fire. When it gets into the exhaust, it's exposed to higher pressure, so it ignites. Perfectly normal, and not any indication of a problem.

If the popping bothers you, you can tune the fuel/air mix so far off on decel, that it won't ignite in the pipes either.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Double post.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:41 PM
RustyCage
Cruiser

Right on. As long as it's not damaging anything, I guess I can get used to it. I do notice it's worse when the temp is pretty hot outside...pushing 100deg today. Don't know if that effects anything. Sorry...first HD, been riding metrics for years.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:53 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Well...the stock mufflers (believe it or not) muffle the sound of the popping - which does exist on stock bikes, it's just the replacement mufflers let you hear it more. With slip ons, all you have really done is remove some of the restrictions and some of the sound deadening material.

You will need to tune the bike properly to get rid of (most) of it.

To fix it, you will need to buy a fuel tuner module of some sort. You might as well get a less restrictive air cleaner while you are at it. More air flow + more fuel = better most of the time.

Best case solution is to add a new air cleaner, add a fuel tuner, then get the bike dyno tuned by somebody who knows what they are doing.

You will probable never eliminate ALL the popping, but you will get most of it.

I put slip ons on my bike and it popped like crazy vs. stock. It was almost embarrassing. I added a tuner and got most of it out, then added a hi flow air filter and a full performance 2:1 exhaust. Still popped, just less.

Autotuned it a bit and it still popped quite a bit. It ran great though.

Then I took it to a good dyno guy who really tuned it properly. He found me an extra 5 hp and 7 ft lbs over the auto tune. The bike runs even betterl, and has (almost) no popping on decel.

There will almost always be some.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:10 PM
RustyCage
Cruiser

That's actually my plan for this winter, besides some new apes. If I'm gonna get the bike tuned, might as well put a high flow air filter on as well. It's not so much the decel pop that bugs me, it's the popping when I'm upshifting. I've had several compliments while sitting at stop lights, only to drive off and *POP*...haha.