Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7" rim laced to 61/2" hub

Old 09-12-2014, 07:45 PM
G-Lock
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7" rim laced to 61/2" hub

I'm in the process of trying to put a 200 tire under my 2010 fxdwg. I bought a rim off eBay that said it was 61/2" but actually measures 7" outside to outside. The rim lacing guy is concerned with my pulley being inset and causing belt to rim and tire contact. I understand what he's saying but can someone tell me if I can do something to cure the problem?

Old 09-12-2014, 07:55 PM
Riffraff123
Road Captain
Received 294 Likes on 157 Posts

Have your guy lace the hub so it's centered within the rim. Then mock up the rim on the bike with no tire and measure (twice) where the offset needs to be in relation to brake rotor, caliper, and drive belt. Then give it back to your guy and have him create that offset. If he knows what he's doing he'll be all set. If he doesn't, find someone else.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:18 PM
G-Lock
Tourer

I'll do that. Thanks much

Old 09-13-2014, 09:16 AM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a 7 inch is going to be a tight fit, if it will fit at all... I have a 17 x 6 on mine and have very little clearance under the fender, between the struts and where the belt passes the tire

Old 09-13-2014, 09:32 AM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I went through this same setup putting a 200 tire on my 2004. It's is a lot more difficult than yours but was doable. The tire when aired up will be wider than 6.5"-7" so after you determine the offset mount the tire and do the measurement again sprocket/belt side to see if the belt is far enough form the tire.

There is a limit to the offset. You can't go to drastic. After setting the offset and the belt is still to close to the tire. You can be as close as 1/4". The belt actually moves outward when the bike is moving. If you move the bike backward the belt will go inward towards the tire. How often do we go backwards. Don't worry about the belt being off center. The belt will center itself on the transmission sprocket. HD been using this transmission sprocket since 1994 and it's wide enough to fit any width belt.

You will need to use one of these to get the belt away from the tire if the offset is not enough. This one is for a chain drive setup. But you get the idea. I had a machinist friend of mine make me one because the offset was not enough. If you use a spacer don't use a flat one. The engine torque will pull the sprocket right off the wheel. It has to have a flange built in to keep the sprocket center on the wheel. You will need longer grade 8 bolts. I saw some 2" bolts on EBay. If you get this far and need to see how the spacer really looks from all sides. I have photos of mine somewhere. Just PM me and I will look for them and send them to you.

Attached Thumbnails 7" rim laced to 61/2" hub-pullyspacer.jpg  
Old 09-13-2014, 09:34 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

It's not a 7 inch rim.. It's a 6 1/2 Rims are measured inner lip to inner lip.. You may need to go to a chain to get that wheel to fit.. Remember a 200 tire is about 7.8 inches wide.. Rim won't be the issue as much as the overhang on the tire.. It will eat up another 0.4 inches on a side.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:38 AM
G-Lock
Tourer

Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to try to figure this out. I maybe should have just ordered a new wheel assembly.....easier to get my bike back on the road.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:40 AM
G-Lock
Tourer

Originally Posted by bwoltz
It's not a 7 inch rim.. It's a 6 1/2 Rims are measured inner lip to inner lip.. You may need to go to a chain to get that wheel to fit.. Remember a 200 tire is about 7.8 inches wide.. Rim won't be the issue as much as the overhang on the tire.. It will eat up another 0.4 inches on a side.
Thanks for the info. That explains why the seller listed it that way. I had though about a chain conversion but I might end up going that direction now

Old 09-13-2014, 09:41 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

HD been using this transmission sprocket since 1994 and it's wide enough to fit any width belt.
Minor change.. They tranny pulleys changed in 2006 on the dynas (2007 on the rest). I do think that they changed the offset of the pulley slightly for wider tires when then went to the crunch drive tranny..

Old 09-13-2014, 09:51 AM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz

He won't need to go chain. The newer Dynas have a wider swingarm. And he might even be able to use the stock finder. I had to cut my struts and use a different fender.

I was told I couldn't fit a 200 on mine because of the narrow swingarm. I proved everyone wrong. No transmission mods. Still used the stock belt and sprockets.

Attached Thumbnails 7" rim laced to 61/2" hub-dynacustombob7.8.12-3-.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 7" rim laced to 61/2" hub