Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 dyna low rider cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 03:11 PM
Helixomni
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 dyna low rider cranks but won't start

Hello all and thanks in advance for your help / replies. My apologies if this isn't the correct area to post this.

I took my bike out for a ride when I got back I went inside the house for an hour, then I went to go start my bike and she'd crank but not start. The only thing I've done so far is swap out batteries and with a new batter installed, she still won't start. :-( any ideas? Thanks again,

Thanks,

Helix

Old 09-14-2014, 05:07 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Does the fuel pump prime up or did you get a carbed L/R? If you have an extra spark plug, connect it to a plug wire and ground the plug, do you have spark, check for spark while cranking the engine. Check your installed plugs for fuel. Spark+ fuel + air = fire.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:26 PM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Does the fuel pump prime up or did you get a carbed L/R? If you have an extra spark plug, connect it to a plug wire and ground the plug, do you have spark, check for spark while cranking the engine. Check your installed plugs for fuel. Spark+ fuel + air = fire.
+ 2 that is what I'd do.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:43 PM
Helixomni
4th Gear

Thanks ill check all of those, I should've provided a description of my bike it's a FXDLI with an alarm system 88 sequential port fuel injection. Hope this info can help!

Thanks again

Old 09-14-2014, 06:46 PM
Helixomni
4th Gear

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Yes, I believe the fuel pump is priming because when I flip the switch to run I can hear the high pitch sound.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:31 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

With fuel in the cylinder and a little compression with a spark in time, and it will go pop. One of these has to be missing.

Good luck.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:12 PM
Helixomni
4th Gear

I pulled the plugs they were bone dry and i checked for spark that was OK,.... Fuel pump went bad?

Old 09-16-2014, 11:15 AM
Renoir1
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

I had nearly the same problem a couple weeks ago. Started and ran good over a weekend. Didn't ride for 3 days. Next time wouldn't start.

It was the battery. If the fuel system doesn't have the right voltage (or amps or whatever) it won't pump fuel into the cylinders. Or so I've read.

I got a new battery and It's fine.

Try a charger on the battery to give it more juice. If it starts, most likely the battery.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:50 PM
Helixomni
4th Gear
Default Update

Update: when I found there wasn't gas getting to the spark plugs I was gonna remove the entire gas tank and remove the intank fuel pump! The during this process i found this things gotta quick disconnect gas line and on the gas line/hose there's a push valve so I thought let me try pushing it in and when I did it squirted gas could that have been the problem could pressure have built up preventing gas from reaching the plugs? so Then I reconnected it and she started right up so there is a form of vapor lock on these fuel injected models at least that's what I'm thinking. I was gonna remove the entire gas tank, take out the intank fuel pump and replace it thank god I didn't have to do all that!!!

Old 09-16-2014, 03:28 PM
Helixomni
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Renoir1
Try a charger on the battery to give it more juice. If it starts, most likely the battery.
Thanks for the tip, this was the very first thing I did.

Quick Reply: 05 dyna low rider cranks but won't start