Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 FXDB - Speedo dead and dies at low speed/RPM

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 12:43 PM
apetit
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 FXDB - Speedo dead and dies at low speed/RPM

Good morning! I haven't posted in a very long time, but I've been a pretty regular lurker over the last few years.

I've run into an issue on my 2009 Street Bob that I just can't figure out and I'm hoping you guys can give me some expertise or an idea. I was on a ride with my father in law about a month ago and we were on our way back to the house when my speedo just died randomly and my engine light came on. We pulled over and I checked all the functions of the bike to make sure I was good and found no problems. The other lights on my speedo turn on and function fine. So, we started back up and rode on. Riding out of town, however, we slowed to a crawl behind a semi and when I got to around 7-10 mph, my bike just died. I was still coasting slowly, so I just hit the start button and it kicked right back on like nothing.

I chalk it up to just a weird thing and we continue home (about 15 minutes away). My bike runs great. No problems with a loss of power or anything. But, we came to the stop to turn onto his road and my bike dies again. We got the house and started looking into it and find nothing immediate that points to an issue. So, I park my bike at his house and head home with my wife, intent on troubleshooting and finding the problem.

Long story short, I grabbed some ideas and tried them yesterday. I pulled all of the connections to the speedo, cleaned them out and reseated the connections. I cleaned off what little corrosion I found on the grounds. Then we pulled the starter, and took out the VSS and cleaned it off (no visible signs of an issue). We put it all together, and I gave it a test ride and within a mile... 3 turns... my bike died 4 times.

Like I said, the bike runs phenomenally when in the higher speed and RPM ranges. At an idle, while warming up the bike, there is no popping, stalling, or any other fuel, air, or engine related problems. The speedometer lights, turn signals, engine light, and other functions of the speedo assembly work fine.

Bike specs:
2009 FXDB
Techlusion TFI fuel tuner
Vance and Hines short shots
Arlen Ness Big Sucker Air Cleaner

Any help you guys can give would be immensely helpful. There is only so much riding weather left... trying to use the time I've got wisely.

Thanks!!!!!

Old 09-15-2014, 01:36 PM
HAD20
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had similar issue on my 07 Bob, and here is what I found, The three wires that are connected to speed sensor had rubbed through and were grounding out. They are sandwiched between a larger wiring harness and the ground cable from battery. I found it after I cut the wire tie holding it all together.
Hope this helps, good luck!

Old 09-15-2014, 01:40 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

Providing the connections to your tuner are good, I would pull the tuner and see if it still happens. Just another variable to eliminate.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:07 AM
apetit
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HAD20
I had similar issue on my 07 Bob, and here is what I found, The three wires that are connected to speed sensor had rubbed through and were grounding out. They are sandwiched between a larger wiring harness and the ground cable from battery. I found it after I cut the wire tie holding it all together.
Hope this helps, good luck!
I noticed all of the connections going into the same mesh covering. I'll have to check this out. I didn't see where it could be crimped...but doesn't mean it isnt.

Thanks everyone for your replies!