Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Hogtunes Lower Fairing Speaker Pod Installation - Pictorial

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:40 AM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hogtunes Lower Fairing Speaker Pod Installation - Pictorial

If you do not have the fairing removed and need information on it's removal, it can be found by following this link to the fairing removal page. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...tallation.html

We will start this install by removing the fairing cap as shown in the above link. Once removed we will install the speaker wiring harness as supplied by Hogtunes with their speaker pod kit. These are sold as kits and can include Hogtunes speakers or they can be fitted with aftermarket speakers as I have done with this installation.

Here we have the harness routed up into the fairing where the speaker connections are made. The plugs along the engine guard are quick disconnects that come with the harness.

Next, connect the harness to your left and right speakers outputs from the supplied amplifier, or in this case pair the speakers with those already in the fairing. I am running a 2-channel amplifier in this bike and will pair the Hertz Titan speakers together because the amplifier is 2-ohm stable.

Next you can dress the cabling as you like and button up the fairing. I added wire loom to the speaker leads to keep everyting neat and tidy inside the fairing.

Next step involves removing the lower fairings from the bike (if mounted) and getting them prepped on the bench. Start by removing the 4 torx screws that hold the inner glove box liner into the shell. Locate (3) recessed screws behind the cap and the other is behind the vent slide as shown in this picture. Removing these will take only a few minutes and allows easy access to remove the plastic male studs that used to secure the glove box lids via snap fasteners. Locate them and cut the serated pin on the back so that he studs will easily pull out of the front openings.

Next, locate the flats on the underside of the fairing caps as shown, and drill an opening to allow the speaker wires to be fed into the lower glove boxes. Start with a 1/8" hole then enlarge it to allow the wire connectors to pass through. I used a 3/8" and then plugged the holes with black gum once the lowers were remounted.

Here you can see the holes when drilled. Be sure you have the right spot before drilling and reference the install notes info from Hogtunes. It's laid out very well and easy to follow.

Route the speaker wire extensions into the glove boxes as shown.

Here you can see the wires pulled through and into the glove boxes. With the old snap fastener studs removed you can now see 4 holes left behind (ignore the fifth). These are the holes that will be used to mount the speaker adapter plates in the next step.

Place the adapter plate from the appropriate side and secure with the hardware and fasteners provided. These get the washers and locknuts installed on the inside of the fairing. Once installed, you can reinstall the fairing liners into the shells. I installed them a bit too early and that made it harder to secure the nuts on the inside of the fairing so keep them out until this step is completed.

With the adapter plates installed, you are ready to mount the fairings back onto the bike and connect the harness along the center of the engine guard with the supplied connectors. Next step includes installing the speakers using the supplied screws that incrporate a mounting boss for the grill covers. This install shows use of the Hertz Titan Speakers from Biketronics. These are 140watt speakers and were used because of the added power supplied from the BT-480 amplifiers.

After placing the Hogtunes grills on, here is a shot of the finished product which is nice and clean.

After installing both speakers and grills, the system was tested and I can only tell you that this stuff from Biketronics absolutlely pounds. With 360 watts driving it, it better. LOL

I'm very impressed with this system and the output from the entire system. Sales and service from both Hogtunes and Biketronics is top shelf. Thanks for a couple excellent products there guys.

Last edited by GasCan; 01-27-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:20 AM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice write up, but there is absolutely no reason to remove the lowers to install the Hogtunes speaker boxes. Everything is very easily done with the lowers installed.

Harry

Old 01-27-2009, 10:11 AM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

I had my fairings off already because they just came back from paint. I know you can install them and drill the holes while on the bike, but it takes like 5 minutes to remove them and put them on the bench to work on them. Just easier to do it this way and less risk of damaging painted parts by doing it on the bench. That's reason enough for me!

Old 01-27-2009, 01:09 PM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Fair enough, but I know if I removed mine I'd be more likely to scratch them. Anyway, like I said, nice writeup.

Harry

Old 01-31-2009, 02:41 PM
malmax
Cruiser

looks great...looking forward to installing lower hogtune speakers this spring

Old 01-31-2009, 06:43 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I drilled the speaker wire holes in the lowers while they were on the bike, but removed and dissassembled them as part of my paint project.

Personally, I'd leave them on the bike as PEZ' instructions assumes they will be in his installation instructions. The less I have to fool with the lower clamp and screw the better.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:34 PM
ZEALOUS_DRAGON
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Does anybody make the lower fairing speaker adapters that you can buy alone without having to purchase speakers as well?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:57 PM
rideshack
Former Sponsor

You can check here...

<a href='http://www.rideshack.com/HOGTUNES_TWEETER_POD_KIT_FOR_HARLEY_FLH_FAIRINGS_4 _p/4405-0172.htm'>Ride Shack Hogtunes Tweeter Pod Kit</a>
http://www.rideshack.com/HOGTUNES_TW.../4405-0172.htm

Last edited by rideshack; 02-13-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:55 AM
ZEALOUS_DRAGON
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rideshack
You can check here...

<a href='http://www.rideshack.com/HOGTUNES_TWEETER_POD_KIT_FOR_HARLEY_FLH_FAIRINGS_4 _p/4405-0172.htm'>Ride Shack Hogtunes Tweeter Pod Kit</a>
Here doesnt seem to go anywhere, please repost. Thanks

Old 03-27-2009, 08:09 PM
wstalker
2nd Gear
Default what type radio

I noticed you said a pioneer model radio...do you know the model #...looks sharp

Quick Reply: Hogtunes Lower Fairing Speaker Pod Installation - Pictorial