Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Nightster, no power, no cranking, no lights battery appears to be good

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 03:55 AM
jolobo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightster, no power, no cranking, no lights battery appears to be good

I have 2k9 Nightster and normally keep it on a battery tender. Other day went to start and speeodmeter, lights came on then went off. Strange because battery was on tender and also checked volts on batt and it reads 12.5 etc

I keep the pigtail of the battery tender always on the bike so I dont have to remove cover etc. So for some reason I checked the fuse in the pigtail side of the battery tender and the fuse was gone. Pulled the dead fuse out and she started up. Thought problem was solved put new fuse in there and tried to start again. Dead no turning over, no lights nothing . Then I put in back on the battery tender, charged a little then she started one one more time.

I turned her off and tried to start again and same problem nothing, no matter if charge it all day, I cannot get her to come on at all. I mean if battery was bad at least I should get dim light or something and keep in mind she was on tender and when I use my voltmeter she is right above 12.5

What can I troubleshoot first? Do not want to take her to the dealer and its something simple.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:57 AM
fissco1234
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm confused about this " fuse in the pigtail side of the battery tender". Maybe post a pic

Old 10-22-2014, 07:50 AM
jolobo
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by fissco1234
I'm confused about this " fuse in the pigtail side of the battery tender". Maybe post a pic
Sorry the pigtail is part of the battery tender. So forget that point main thing I need advice how to troubleshoot with this issue keeping in mind the battery seems fully charged

Old 10-22-2014, 08:32 AM
fissco1234
Road Master

A fully charged battery should be in the >13 vdc range, no load. Is it the original battery? I would check all your other fuses for corrosion and the main ground from the battery to the stud on the primary. Are you checking voltage at the +/- terminals on the battery, or from the + on the battery to the frame and/or the ground post on your primary? Did you remove the battery? Short story long, if you have removed the battery at all, you must disconnect the negative cable on the battery from the stud on the primary and pull it up through the frame still connected to the battery. Otherwise what happens is because the cable is so short, if you connect it to the battery without some slack in it, it terminates at an angle. It must terminate vertically, otherwise when you slide it in if it's terminated at an angle, it will turn ccw and loosen at the battery terminal, while trying to find its way home. I experienced very similar problems with my 08, it's the nature of the beast, but it can be resolved. Stay in touch.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:15 AM
jolobo
2nd Gear

Thanks yea something is loose I guess all I did was pull the battery out a little and she started up, I'll check along the stud etc and see where she is loose at

Old 10-22-2014, 10:33 AM
fissco1234
Road Master

Like I said, start at the battery, tighten the negative cable, fish the cable back down through the battery box and frame to the stud on the primary and reattach it.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:54 PM
jolobo
2nd Gear

Yea I did that but strange thing if I start the bike with kickstand down it drains the battery. So If I recharge it and start with kick stand up no problem. Maybe the battery is faulty, any Ideas?