Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Electrical/Lighting/Alarm (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/electrical-lighting-alarm-43/)
-   -   89 sportster please help! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/electrical-lighting-alarm/1023874-89-sportster-please-help.html)

1989xlh1200 01-30-2015 05:47 PM

89 sportster please help!

I'm trying to eliminate most of the wires on the bike so I let a guy help me start the process and now he refuses to help me. He clipped all the wires out of the headlight. Now I'm trying to get the bike started so I put the battery in and it just sparks. All I want is hi/low beam start/stop/run does anyone know what wires to connect? I have the factory wiring harness diagram and it gives me a headache staring at it. Any info helps

Harleycruiser 01-30-2015 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1989xlh1200 (Post 13652310)
I'm trying to eliminate most of the wires on the bike so I let a guy help me start the process and now he refuses to help me. He clipped all the wires out of the headlight. Now I'm trying to get the bike started so I put the battery in and it just sparks. All I want is hi/low beam start/stop/run does anyone know what wires to connect? I have the factory wiring harness diagram and it gives me a headache staring at it. Any info helps

Oh my, well I believe the start and kill run through the headlight, but before I even look at a schematic since you only have one post here is the deal.
I am going to ask questions every time I respond, the first time you don't answer the questions you are on your own. Not trying to be a wise ass, just don't want to waist time.
Ok, First questions, are you still here?
Have you posted this question on any other forums?
By spark do you mean the battery sparks or that you have spark at the plugs?

1989xlh1200 01-30-2015 07:24 PM

yes i am still here and no i haven't posted this anywhere else. when i tried hooking up the battery to use a test light the battery shot sparks so i put everything down and started doing some research and i guess that happens when i have a bad ground connection. and yes literally everything electrical goes into the headlight

Harleycruiser 01-30-2015 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by 1989xlh1200 (Post 13652637)
yes i am still here and no i haven't posted this anywhere else. when i tried hooking up the battery to use a test light the battery shot sparks so i put everything down and started doing some research and i guess that happens when i have a bad ground connection. and yes literally everything electrical goes into the headlight

First thing I would like to see you do is take the schematic and have it blown up large enough so that you can follow the wires, at least a 11x16, make several copies.
Then circle everything that you want to keep, then highlight the lines from the circled items back to the fuse box.
Meanwhile I will look at my 86 schematic.
It would not hurt to take a photo of the schematic and post it here, so if anyone wants to help they can.
How does that sound?

1989xlh1200 01-30-2015 07:40 PM

okay ill upload a few pictures to show you what i am working with.

Harleycruiser 01-30-2015 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by 1989xlh1200 (Post 13652682)
okay ill upload a few pictures to show you what i am working with.

Cool, How many junction boxes were in the headlight i just see one on my schematic, and do you still have the wires that were cut out?

1989xlh1200 01-30-2015 07:47 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...b0db27d534.jpg

this is the diagram i found for the bike i have it blown up to the size of my work bench lol

1989xlh1200 01-30-2015 07:50 PM

there is 3 in mine but i know its not original the kid i got it from wired a bunch of stuff into it

Harleycruiser 01-30-2015 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by 1989xlh1200 (Post 13652729)
there is 3 in mine but i know its not original the kid i got it from wired a bunch of stuff into it

Yea that is the same ske that I have, and yea three is stock, I was hoping there was only one, it been a long time since I worked on a sporty.
Are the wires long enough that you can tack on to them, you going to solder or crimp?
If the battery is sparking when you hook it up then you probably have a wire grounded out, touching the light or something.
It is not going to start until you hook up the run and start wires so take some time running down and marking your wires, Then start finding them in the headlight and marking them, either with some labels or with some paper tape and pen, just make a tab and identify each wire. you go by wire color there is a color code in the left bottom side of the ske and we will go from there.
Half of these wires can be eliminated if you are only going to run minimum stuff.

1989xlh1200 01-30-2015 08:10 PM

yes i bought new handlebar wiring kits so i have plenty of wire and i believe im going to solder them.